Is it a weasel?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by chickathon, Sep 22, 2012.

1. chickathon

chickathon Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2011
    West Virginia
    This is my second year of having chickens. I have had some losses. But a black/tan coon hound that followed me and my daughter home has solved the problem about coons. I went into the run the other day to find one of my bantams without a head, back or guts. Is it a weasel? I have set my smallest live trap with sardines and have caught nothing. I haven't had any loses since that one night. Is it gone? Or just not hungry yet? I know possums do similar things but I can't find a hole big enough anywhere for it to get in. What do you bait for weasels? Or do I need a different trap. The one I have is the smallest that Tractor supply had. I got it in a two for one deal. It's about 8x8 roughly. Is this type of trap o.k.? Thanks in advance for any answers or advise I could sure use it.

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

This link was in the Learning Center: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/...ors-how-to-protect-your-chickens-from-weasels

It does sound like a weasel. Personally, I'd nail some hardware cloth over any gaps you have in your coop. If you haven't been shutting your chickens inside a housing each night, I'd start - and HW cloth over windows or any gaps.

Never dealt with weasels, do I can't help on whether that trap would be adequate or not - I'd go by whatever type animals it was advertised for...

3. mhaddon

mhaddon Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2012
    It sounds like a weasel. We are dealing with one right now :( I have lost 10 butcher roosters in the past 2 weeks. We have traps set and still can not catch it.

4. chickathon

chickathon Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2011
    West Virginia
    I'm sorry for your loss. : (. I have the trap set up but no luck as yet. I haven't had any more losses. And, that puzzles me. Either my coon dog has caught on or she ate it that night. Or maybe and I hate to think it but maybe it hasn't gotten hungry enough yet. I would dearly love to catch the varmit and give it a nice dirt nap.

5. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    I would also recommend a careful look around to find the gap where the predator entered, and seal it up. Even if you catch this one there is always another coming along looking for a free chicken dinner.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by