Is it a Weasel??

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Bleenie, Oct 5, 2012.

1. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

For the past 2 weeks or so I have had something digging under the back wall of the coop. To begin with I thought it was a Rat that the cat couldn't get, so a few days ago I set a small live trap baited with peanut butter and some grain on top.... I got Nothing so far.

I set 3 eggs in the center nest box earlier today and when I went out a few minutes ago to collect all of the eggs there was only 2 left! AND there was fresh digging where the little beast dug back out of the coop. It left a good footprint behind that is about 1-1.5" long, skinny and at the toe end you can see that the two middle toes stick out further than the others. The hole it made was about 3" across. It goes down alittle but it's not like it burrowed into the ground. The "exit" is right against the outside of the wall.

So what might it be? I am thinking weasel but I have never had a problem with them and actually have Rarely ever seen one around the place. I am PRAYING it'snot a Skunk!

I reset the live trap with canned pork... Very strong, yummy smelling stuff. My fingers are crossed.

2. TurtlePowerTrav

TurtlePowerTrav T.K.'s Farm

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    A skunk would have a hole at least 6 inches in diameter. I would say weasel or mink.

3. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

Are weasels like Raccoons.. as in do they usually have "friends" near by that are going to pick up where one left off if i trap it?

What's a good weasel bait?

4. TurtlePowerTrav

TurtlePowerTrav T.K.'s Farm

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    Don't know about bait, but I think weasels are like ferrets and they live together as a family except for males are solitary, I think. If they are like ferrets though the PB should work. Maybe put an egg in the trap since that is what it is after.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by