Is it a Welsummer? Is it a Male?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Hypnochick, Oct 20, 2009.

1. Hypnochick

Hypnochick New Egg

Oct 20, 2009
    Hi Guys & Girls,

I'm relatively new to chicken keeping, i have had ex-batts for about a year now and just recently I bought some Welsummer chicks, they're approx 4 - 5 weels old now. Two of the chicks (no. 3 & 4) have stayed noticably smaller than the other two and one (No. 4) now looks like is is either a light coloured male or a different breed. It has also sprouted some feathers on its head which have grown longer and stick up a bit... Could it be a mixed breed, just a male? Please help if you have any idea what it is.

Also If you have any ideas on the sex of any of them, please help!

Thankyou [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. tellynpeep

tellynpeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2008
    SW New Hampshire
    I'm thinking #1 is looking like a roo. That light-colored one... is odd. Could it be a braebanter or a mix? What other breeds did the person have that you got them from?

3. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    One and two look like roos. Four looks like a mix.

4. JanieMarie

JanieMarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Georgetown, Minnesota
    To me 1 & 2 are roos. 3 could be pullet but need a better pic. 4 is definitely not pure. Most are easy to sex as chicks with the distinct V on the head being hens and a smudged V being roos.

5. JanieMarie

JanieMarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Georgetown, Minnesota
    In the 3rd pic could 1 and 2 have gotten mixed up? Cuz as I look back Im thinkin 2 could be a hen. 1 is definitely roo tho.

6. ve

ve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Palmetto GA
    Are you from Europe? #4 can be pure Legbar girl .They have same coloration,small crest and lay blue eggs.#1 and #2 are boys looks like Welsumers.#3 can be Welsumer girl

7. Hypnochick

Hypnochick New Egg

Oct 20, 2009
    Thankyou everyone for your help!

I brought all the chicks in for a photo shoot today so that i had some better pictures.

I also managed to get hold of the number for the person that i bought them off and she told me that the Welsummer impostor (No.3) is really a cream Legbar hen an autosexing breed. When they are a chick they look almost identicle to Welsummers and are also highly sought after here in the UK.

so here's the pics...

Chick 1:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Chick 2:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Chick 3:

[​IMG]

Chick 4:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'd love anyones opinion on the sex of any

Thanks Hypnochick [​IMG]

8. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I'm sticking my previous statement. One and two are roos. At this point, the other two look like pullets and three is a mix of some kind.

9. aussieheelr

aussieheelr Chillin' With My Peeps

1 & 2 look like roos... sorry that's all I could say.

10. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    One and two are roos
    Three is a crossbred or mix pullet
    Four is a poorly colored Welsummer pullet, possibly a mix also.

If you are planning on breeding Welsummers, I would advise you not to. Good for a pet or egg laying purposes!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by