Is it absorbed? Update: New problem!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Whitehouse Quail, May 12, 2011.

1. Whitehouse Quail

Whitehouse Quail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan
    I had a baby emu hatch this morning... everything went fine, until I pulled him out of the incubator. It looked like he was attached to the egg a little, but there was no yolk sac. It looks like the abdomen/vent area is swollen a little, with a little white on the very end of the vent. It's not an unabsorbed yolk sac completely, I've had chickens do that before, but it's not like that at all.

Any advice? Or just let it go and see what happens? I will try to get pictures when I get home tonight.

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2011
  2. pinkado

pinkado Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2011
    i think i had the same things with my ducks, when they hatched the other night, i paniced seeing this, but once they puffed up, all seemed fine,the puffyness covered it all, i think its just what im calling 'fat bum', i wouldnt panic unless its ooozing and nasty

3. Whitehouse Quail

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan
    That's a relief! Ill keep my fingers crossed!

4. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    Quote:[​IMG] Keep an eye on the little one, though I would assume it will all be fine. [​IMG]

5. Whitehouse Quail

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan
    Uggh.. I just ran into another problem.

[​IMG]

It looks like the yolk was not all the way absorbed, is this right? The hole/sore is in a really weird place, I don't think it's the vent, but it also could be the nave. What do you think?

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2011
  6. CCourson05

CCourson05 Popping like kettle corn...

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    I posted on your other thread... To me, it appears to be the umbilicus.. [​IMG]

7. Whitehouse Quail

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan
    Quote:How would one go about fixing this?

8. CCourson05

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    You don't just leave it.. It will dry up and be covered by fluff soon enough...

It isn't bleeding or anything, right?

Last edited: May 12, 2011
  9. Whitehouse Quail

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan
    Quote:Right, just kinda looks nasty. He/she looks like s/he has passed a BM, so hopefully it's innerworkings should be all right. Thanks for the advice, I hope it clears up! Should I put hydrogen peroxide/antibiotic ointment on it?

Thanks again!

10. CCourson05

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    Yeah.. Have you ever hatched chicken eggs? Often this happens... In fact, my 2 week old's finally just fell off... They normally won't peck at it, but watch out for it the first few days, while the chicks are still fluffing up nicely... [​IMG]

Congrats!!![​IMG]

ETA: No. I only put something on it if it is bleeding... If they peck at it, separate it from the rest and put a dab of corn starch... It stops the bleeding... [​IMG]

Last edited: May 12, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by