is it alive

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by waw, Nov 23, 2011.

1. waw

waw Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2011
    Mississippi
    my 2 eggs are at day 14 and the big one you can just barely see through at the bottom tip and you can see it ok through the air sack and the little one shows signs that looks like development is about 3-4 days behind they almost seem like the producing a little heat of their own and the big one moved this morning but i heard that today is the day that they start getting ready to pip

2. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Day 14 is not hatching day! If these are chicken eggs, hatching day is day 21.

3. waw

Nov 12, 2011
    Mississippi
    i know but are they still alive [​IMG]

4. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    In your post, you state that your 2 eggs are at 14 days.....and that you heard today was hatch day....

If today is truly day 21 and hatch day, your eggs should be on lockdown and not being candled or touched. Some eggs hatch up to 4-5 days after hatch day. You can't tell if they are alive still at this point.

5. MissJenny

MissJenny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    They sound pretty lively to me... nothing much will happen till next week. The day before they hatch they might start peeping -- it's funny to hear and egg peeping.

Try to be patient,
    Jenny

6. waw

Nov 12, 2011
    Mississippi
    i did not mean that i thought today was hatch day i meant that someone gave me a calendar where each day it shows a candeling picture and a description of what is happening that day and today it says that they start positining themselves for hatching like yesterday there scales and claws start forming and on day 16 their scales and claws start to harden and they start growing there small egg horn/their egg tooth:)

7. waw

Nov 12, 2011
    Mississippi
    any advice would be appreciated [​IMG]

8. MamaMarcy

MamaMarcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    My best advice is to stop handling them other than turning (if you are doing an auto turner then hands off)...wait till 3 days before hatch (day 21) to stop turning, keep temperature and humidity at appropriate levels and wait it out.

Do you have some reason to think they are not still alive? The more you handle them the bigger your risk of them dying from infection or poor humidity/temps during incubation.

9. waw

Nov 12, 2011
    Mississippi
    my dad had to turn them while i was away that day and he left a small piece of mud in the water resvior for the humidity
    and he also left a smudge of mud on the side of the egg i tried to clean it eh best i could but it is still there is that okay also my hydromometer broke should i get a new one since it is day 14 or just wing it

Last edited: Nov 24, 2011
  10. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Quote:I would invest in a new hygrometer. The correct humidity is very important for a good hatch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by