1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is it allegal to sell baby quail chicks?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by pringle, Sep 22, 2009.

1. pringle

pringle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Pepperell,MA
    When I go to farmers market with my dad Im gonna be selling unfertilized eggs wiht his normal chickens eggs.But id also like to ask around and mabye sell some fertilized eggs,If they say the dont have an incubator Id want to maybe sell some chicks to them.Do I need a permit to sell fertilized eggs,chicks,maybe even live adults?

2. kingmt

kingmt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Mason WV
    You need to check with your local DNR & DA.

3. Kullas

Kullas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2009
    Ellijay Ga.
    ya have coturnex right? if so you should bo good to go but i would still call up DNR and ask. just as long as there not bobwhites

4. pringle

pringle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Pepperell,MA
    Thx for the info and yes I am going to have coturnix quail.How about gambel quail or others beside bobwhite?

5. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Yes, best to check with your State DNR. Most State if Native to the state you will need a permit.

6. farrier!

farrier! Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    I need a game permit for my quail. I will need an egg sellign permit through the Department of Ag when I sell eggs.
    Depends on the state but most states do require an egg sellers license of some type.

7. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Coturnix Is A Definate Maybe--- Bobs More Than Likely, Gambels Or Other Speces Almost A Yes! You Really Have To Get In Touch With Your State's Fish And Game/ Dnr Department And Ask--- Most States Online Regs Can Be A Lil Blurry( May Just Say Quail And Not Specify Coturnix, Or Bob Or Exotics..)--- Its Best To Call And Ask Specifically And Ask About Each And Every Breed/ Speces You Wish To Handle---- Some States Are Astronomical In Cost While Others Are Quite Cheap, And Others Yet Dont Require Anything, Or Are Free So Long As You Apply For It.

8. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I'm 99.99999% sure that you need a permit in MA to own ANY kind of quail, even buttons. So I would say that, while not necessarily illegal to sell them at the farmers' market, you would probably be better off not to. You'd have a lot of paperwork to do to sell them, and it just wouldn't be worth it, plus you might not be able to complete it all there.
    Maybe you could let people know that you have them, and they could go to your house and buy them?

9. PetersonD

PetersonD Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2009
    Yea, check with your local DNA. I don't know about MA, but I think a few of the states have written their regulations to include coturnix in their "game bird" definitions. It's all crazy, especially the high fines for the silliest things...

10. Sunny the Hippie Chick

Sunny the Hippie Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    Brookings Oregon
    Here in oregon I dont need a permit to keep coturnix quail. But if I want to sell their eggs or birds then I need to get an $8 permit. And that lasts a year. Price varies by state. For personal use, I dont need any paperwork.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by