Is it alright if chickens catch and eat mice?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LittleLola, Apr 20, 2008.

1. LittleLola

LittleLola Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maryland
    okay, the other day my daughter and I where out and about with the chickens and all of a sudden they come running in their enclosed area... I knew one of them had gotten something they didn't want to share... so we walk over to where they are and notice one had caught a mouse!! She ate it whole..after trying to pluck it open I guess... so yesterday my daughter and I were with the silkies again and low and behold one of my EE's had caught a mouse.... she ended up eating it whole as well... Is it alright for them to do that? I suppose that free range chickens would come encounter mice but never thought if they would try and eat them...?? [​IMG]

Also... another question...lol I have 2 sumutras pic of them when we first got them is my avatar... anyway... now they are 7 months old now and one has started to lay...which is a good thing. But now she is very aggressive towards the other sumatra sex is unknown by me now... thought it was a boy... cause of the way the feathers where heading but now not sure...?? [​IMG] I have been keeping them with my silkies because I knew that my other chics would just pick on them... so now I have one who is laying eggs and aggressive towards the other sumatra and my young silkie Roo.... Any ideas of what I should do about her?? and shouldn't I be able to tell hat the other sumatra is by now? I have also looked for the spurs that the roos should get but it doesn't really look like "it" has them... If I can take some pics of them today I will post to see what you all think "it" is...?

thanks in advance!

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Mine think a mouse is a tasty treat!

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I can't answer the sumatra questions.

The chickens will catch and eat small snakes, lizards, mice, bugs, etc. It is a normal part of their diet. They are omnivors and need meet and vegetation to meat their dietary and nutritional needs. I often give mine meat and meat scraps cooked.

4. LittleLola

LittleLola Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maryland
    [​IMG] okay so I am not alone.... I think mine feel the same way.... My hubby said, "Well hey they are darn good mice catchers!! Better than our dog "(who is learning to get them.. )

just notice your post Miss Prissy.. [​IMG] about the sumatras.... but thanks for the info about the mice and so forth [​IMG] I give them scraps but have never given them any meats... gonna give that a go! Thanks!!!

5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Having access to animal proteins you will see the feathering improve in your chickens as well as their overall general health.

6. petlove

petlove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2008
    Skiatook, OK
    My doxie is the resident mouse catcher. It is great to know that chickens are good at it, also. I do have alot of mice. With my dogs I will not use dcon.

7. featherfooted

featherfooted Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Georgia
    My dogs and chickens have an agreement, the dogs catch and kill the mice and the chickens eat them.

8. petlove

petlove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2008
    Skiatook, OK
    Quote:[​IMG]

9. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Mine have torn up the litter at the back of the coop scratching up mice who have been making nests back there. I have a dirt floor with the pine bedding on top. Now I have a ditch a foot deep where they have dug it up.

10. mandomama

mandomama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    corvallis oregon
    Oh! Great! Now I have something to do with the "presents" my cats leave on the porch! Yeah!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by