Is it alright to brood in 'cold' garage??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by rambunctious, Jan 28, 2013.

1. rambunctious

rambunctious Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2012
    Ohio
    I'm a lil concerned. I'd prefer to brood them in the garage vs in the house. However, it's a garage, it can be chilly in there. We park in there- so the doors are opened/closed a few times a day. With that being said..as long as the temp in the brooder is 95 (and then adjusting for age) does it matter the temp? Is this just going to be a wait and see thing?

Thanks for any insight!

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

I've brooded in our barn and in our garage for years. Just cannot take the dust and smells indoors. I hatched out 15 chicks on Christmas Day and they've been out there since. I've a second batch due tomorrow and they too will go out there. We've had a few night well below zero. I did rig up a "Redneck Fung Shui" brooder by dragging in one of the grow out pens. They've stayed nice and toasty in there. I started with two lamps from day one through day 30. Now, they are down to just one lamp. Not a problem.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/735392/redneck-fungshui-brooding-17-degree-temperatures

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  3. rambunctious

Jul 9, 2012
    Ohio
    Thank you! I was fairly certain it wouldn't be an issue, I just wanted to get an opinion of someone with some experience!

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Brooders do not need to be 95 degrees everywhere. Just a a hot spot that approaches 90. It will likely prove impossible to actually heat more than just the 24" radius of the warm spot. What temp the brooder is beyond the warm spot is largely irrelevant. Get setup and test the temp in your warm spot a day ahead of the chick's arrival. The hot spot merely mimics the warmth under the body and wings of the brooding hen. The temperature beyond her body circle of heat is fairly irrelevant. If you are hatching chicks, I'd be sure to keep them in a reception box that is quite warm until day 3 or 4, insuring that they are fully dry, eating and drinking. Just a couple of days, then out to the brooder in the garage. If you're getting chicks through the mail, they' can go straight to the brooder.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  5. PaleoDan

PaleoDan Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2013
    Yardville, NJ
    I would be concerned about carbon monoxide poisoning. I think birds are more susceptible than humans and if you park your cars in there, make sure you do not let it "warm up" too long or you might just gas them.

Good luck

Dan

6. rambunctious

Jul 9, 2012
    Ohio
    We don't 'heat-up' the cars in the garage. We just park them in there!

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Fred covered it well as usual, just adding I also don't brood in the house. My barn is not insulated or heated, I use a galvanized steel trough. Heat lamp on one end, food and water on the other, expanded metal on the top to keep chicks in and barn cats out...........good to go!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by