Is it alright to feed my ducks medicated chick feed

Lingandmingducks

Chirping
Apr 14, 2018
Kissimmee, Florida
So I was kind of in a hurry because my friend bought me 2 baby ducks as a way of asking me to prom because I always post on my Snapchat about wanting a duck. Well medicated chicken feed was all I could find, is that okay?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    433.2 KB · Views: 78
Depends on what the medication is. Amprolium is safe for ducks. You will need to supplement their niacin intake. Brewers or nutritional yeast are good sources that are easy to obtain. Just sprinkle a bit on the feed each time you refill it.

If the medication is amprolium and/or bacitracin it is fine for ducklings, but chick feed does not have enough niacin so you will need to add niacin.
http://metzerfarms.blogspot.com/2011/03/are-my-ducklings-leg-problems-due-to.html

Some people add niacin or b complex, others use brewers yeast or nutritional yeast.
@Miss Lydia?

Purina actually make a *medicated* flock raiser:
medicate_flock_raiser-png.1339549

https://www.purinamills.com/chicken-feed/products/detail/purina-flock-raiser-mp-0125
purina_medicated_3-png.1229565

Purina says this:
The issue here is not so much one of safety as it is one of regulations. Amprolium, the medication present in our medicated chick starter, has never been approved by the FDA for use in waterfowl. Therefore, we cannot legally recommend its use for these birds. However, veterinarians have been using it very successfully off-label for years as a coccidiostat for all kinds of birds, including waterfowl.

The fear of medication for waterfowl dates back to the early days of medicated feed, when sulfa drugs were used. Waterfowl typically eat more than chickens do, so when they ate feed medicated at a concentration that was ideal for chickens, they tended to over-imbibe the medication, which was often fatal. Amprolium is not a sulfa drug and does not have that effect.

Start & Grow is formulated to meet the growth needs of baby chicks until they reach 18 weeks of age. We recommend Start & Grow for chicks and Flock Raiser for waterfowl or mixed flocks. If you feel your waterfowl need medication, consult with your vet to determine what would be best for them.
A study:
Treatment. Various sulphonamide drugs and coccidiostats have been used in the treatment of renal and intestinal coccidiosis of geese. If the geese are to be fed rations which were formulated for other types of poultry, it should be noted that in spite of popular belief to the contrary, waterfowl can be fed rations containing most of the coccidiostats used for chickens. The Veterinary University of Hanover, Germany have specifically reported that the following coccidiostats found in chicken rations are tolerated by waterfowl: amprolium, amprolium-ethopabate, clopidol, clopidol-methylbenzoquate, DOT (zoalene), lasalocid monensin-sodium, narasin, nicarbazin, robenidin, salinomycin and sulfaquinoxaline. They also reported that neither halofuginone nor arprinocid are tolerated by waterfowl and that they could find no information on the effect of giving waterfowl feed containing either decoquinate or maduramicin ammonium.
This is what's in Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks. It says basically the same thing as above.

Source: https://books.google.com/books?id=s...guide to raising ducks medicated feed&f=false

Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks, 2nd Edition

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom