Is it alright to keep a drake with ducklings and mom

silly silkies

In the Brooder
Dec 3, 2016
Hey everyone on BYC i was just wondering is it alright to keep your drake with ducklings and mom. my 2 ducks (donald, and Daisy) are kept with my chickens. but soon will be seperated in the spring. but Daisy may lay eggs and i didnt want donald to break the eggs so i wasn't sure if it was okay to keep the male duck with female and babies.
smile.png

It depends is the best I can give you. Some drakes will try to breed the duck while she is setting - in my experience most do not. Some drakes will attack the ducklings - in my experience most do not. It all depends upon the temperament of your drake, but I would watch things closely once she starts setting. Good luck.

Hello and welcome to BYC - thanks for joining us. Sourland has given you some great advice, so I'll just say hi.

Best wishes
CT

welcome-byc.gif

Sourland has given you some good advice so I'll just say hello and it's nice to have you here!

Hello there, and welcome to the wonderful world of Backyard Chickens! I hope you will make yourself at home here and enjoy it as much as I have! :frow

Back
Top Bottom