IS it ALWAYS this NERVE racking?!?!?!?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Hobbley_Farm, Dec 5, 2008.

1. Hobbley_Farm

Hobbley_Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    Pilot Mountain, NC
    Like I have said on another post. This is my second time with eggs in the bator, but what seems to be my FIRST successful [​IMG] attempt at incubating. I have one chick who's top half is out of the egg and her bottom half is still nestled in the egg. She's panting and wet. And I just find myself going in to check on her, like, every 2 to five minutes. [​IMG] (I don't know why I want to call "It" a "her" but thats whats happening. I'm SOOO afraid that I've gotten this far and somethings going to go wrong. I don't know if the two brown eggs in there are even developing! I can't see anything when I candle (because they're brown and I'm green at this) Oh man! I just really want to be successful. Sheesh. I'm nearly sweating! Maybe I shouldn't have had that "regular" coffee. I'm really better off with "decaf". [​IMG] I get a bit high strung with regular coffee. [​IMG]

2. Ladyhawke1

Ladyhawke1 Chillin' With My Peeps

YES! [​IMG]

3. UrbanMama

UrbanMama Gone Country....

Sep 27, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Yup, it is!

I'd say take a deep breath, tie your hands behind your back and step awaaaay from the bator! [​IMG]

4. Feathered Wings

Feathered Wings Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Georgia
    I agree with the stepping away.

It maybe Frustrating but hatching is a natural thing and you just have to let it happen.[​IMG]
    The chick is breathing hard because hatching is exhausting work and it's just resting. Don't open the incu and try to intervene you will chill the chick and the eggs. Hatching of a chick can take as little as 2 hours to as long as 12 hours it's not a fast process.
    You will hear them peeping and loudly they are not in pain or distress they are breathing air for the first time. You will see them struggle it's hard getting out of the shell and it's exhausting too.They will be doing alot of resting it's okay.
    But again don't intervene they have to go through all stages of the hatching process without your help. They will push off the shell and just lay there and dry nothing is wrong.
    Don't Remove them until they are completely dry so you won't chill them.
    Just relax and know all of this is natural and you are just getting to observe the miracle of birth.[​IMG]

Any Questions please ask [​IMG]

5. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    i hear ya! i've already done chicken chores, vacuumed, freshened the brooders, wiped finger prints off the hallway walls, dusted and made the bed.

now to shower and do my hair....that oughta eat some time....

aaagggghhhh!

6. Hobbley_Farm

Hobbley_Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    Pilot Mountain, NC
    Quote:lol I should do some of those things, myself! I have done out side animal duty. and every time the pup whines i take her outside 4 potty time. But im still in my house clothes.
    I can't stop checking on lil chicky

7. flakey chick

flakey chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    Florida
    Quote:As someone here said all hatched chicks are girls until proven otherwise in a coop of law.

8. Feathered Wings

Feathered Wings Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Georgia
    It Takes a hatching or 2 to get used to the idea of whats happening and to just be patiet. I too was nervous at the first hatch and will confess i killed a chick trying to let it out of the shell.[​IMG]
    I allso chilled one trying to dry it off and it died so you see i know how you feel.
    Thats why i'm quick to jump in on a hatch to keep others from makeing these mistakes.
    It's a devastaing feeling to know you did it and can't take it back.

Now i just go about my day and check in once in awhile just to see whats going on. (yes i still get excited)

So patient is golden in this process [​IMG]

9. Julie08

Julie08 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    YES! Always!

10. Fudgie

Fudgie Hatching Queen - Got Fudge?

Quote:lol I should do some of those things, myself! I have done out side animal duty. and every time the pup whines i take her outside 4 potty time. But im still in my house clothes.
    I can't stop checking on lil chicky

ok to both you Hobbley_farm and Miss_jayne........Jmajors has come over with her darlings and there are now NEW fingerprints on every window of the house.....get to it....

A watched bator never hatches! LOL [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by