Is it at all possible to hatch chicks and ducks together?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Smartie_Pants, Dec 20, 2008.

1. Smartie_Pants

Smartie_Pants Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    This spring I want to do an experiment. I want to hatch both some chicks in my LG bator. I have had very poor hatches before due to many factors and want to do it right and sucessful. However, the main reason for this "experiment" is to see the difference in temperment and friendliness between chicks gotten as week olds and chicks I hatch myself.

I want to stick two or three of my blue swed eggs in there and try the same experiment with ducklings, but I have read you shouldn't hatch the two together. I'm not sure why though. Would staggering the hatch dates, putting the chicken eggs in and then 3-4 days later putting in the duck eggs, solve the problem? In my manuel both have the same temp. suggestions and both incubate app. 21 days.

Is there any way to do both together? I don't want to run the bator a second time after hatching the chicks, because then the ducks and chicks can't be in the same brooder and it will be hard to deal with.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2008
  2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Ducks take a full week longer, but there are a lot of people here that hatch them together. I am not one of them, simply because I am not hatching chickens right now, and I am incubating my first duck eggs right now. But there are many people that have told me they do incubate them together. Just make sure to set the chicken eggs 7 days after the ducks. I'm not sure if you can hatch them together.

3. Smartie_Pants

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    I didn't know they take a week longer. I may just put them in at the same time anyway. A one week old chick is roughly the size of a newborn duck, so that would even things out.

I want to put them in all at the same time because the eggs will be shipped and I won't know when they will come, so how will I put the eggs in before hand?

4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Sorry! I don't understand what you are asking! [​IMG] I'm a bit slow tonight! You should know about when the eggs will get there, whether they are shipped or not.

5. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    I do ducks/geese simultaneous to chicks in my sportsman. I set the humidity for the waterfowl, though, as they are far more valuable than chicks. So if I were to lose a whole clutch, I'd rather it be chicks than the ducks/geese.

6. Smartie_Pants

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    Quote:About what humidity do you use? What if you set the humidity between the two?

For example, if chicks were supposed to be 43 and ducks 49, could you set the humidity at 46-47 and still have both hatch?

(BTW, I know those numbers aren't right. It's late, and I can't think. If my questions seem a little crazy, that's why [​IMG] )

Time for me to go to bed!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by