Is it bad for them to get in the compost?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mychickensrock, Dec 4, 2008.

1. mychickensrock

mychickensrock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    We can't seem to keep our girls out of the compost bin. I don't think there's anything bad in there. Do I need to keep them out or just let them enjoy the buffet? [​IMG]

2. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I had the same problem. Not only were they getting into my compost pile they were getting into my garden and tearing everything up and I would have to go and rake the pile back up and replant in my garden. Luckily I start things in my greenhouse so that I can stagger my plantings so everything doesn't come in at the same time as I sell my produce and eggs.

3. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I had to fence in my birds. It was a much easier than fencing in my garden which is devided into plots. There are pictures on my BYC Page.

4. mychickensrock

mychickensrock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    We don't have a garden. I have a black thumb. We put kitchen scraps and coop litter in there. So do you know if it's dangerous for them to eat out of there?

5. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    Chickens love compost piles and there isn't likely to be anything in there to hurt them. If you can think of something then you'd need to keep them out.

I love watching my chickens in my compost pile, they scratch around and help stir things up for me.

6. UrbanChickenMama

UrbanChickenMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    My girls love the compost. They found it and now I can't keep them out of it. I'm not too concerned. I think they like the bugs in there the most. [​IMG]

7. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    IT is no problem what so ever look at the chicken in the old days they used to eat anything they find and they still doing well.

I let my hens eat anything, especially after I seen my friend doing that for years.

8. Don

Don Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2008
    Oil City, PA
    I heard of a guy in the compost/dirt business that had/has LOTS of chickens. He no longer buys them food ... they simply go through his compost piles and feed on the critters in there. According to him, there was no loss of eggs or any other negative outcome from this.

There was an article in a poultry mag about him ... but I can't recall any details. [​IMG]

9. Chicken Boo

Chicken Boo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    Glenn Dale, MD
    When I was considering getting chickens and reading everything I could find, one web site said to keep the chickens away from the compost pile due to the fungus that might be growing in there. I have not seen this piece of advice anywhere else.

My compost piles have covers but they do dig around the edges looking for worms and larvae and a couple will jump right in if the covers are not on. I do dig out shovelfuls of the congregations of larvae for the girls to eat. They seem to like that VERY much.

10. pokachix

pokachix Out Of The Brooder

Jul 5, 2008
    Buckley WA
    I keep trying to have a compost pile but the girls eat everything so there isn't any to compost! At this rate it will take me 20 years to fill it! They are healthy & happy. It's fun to watch em run around with spaghetti! J

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by