Is it bad to feed treats to 7 weeks old chicks?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ging3rhoffman, Apr 29, 2009.

1. ging3rhoffman

ging3rhoffman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    I have thirteen 7 week old chicks and they run up to me when they see me just to see what I have for them. I throw them some birdseed and cracked corn, the cracked corn is cracked into tiny pieces then later in the day i give them each a few raisins. Sometimes I take them luke warm oatmeal or dry oatmeal. I am just wondering if they are getting to many treats or if its fine. They are eating their chick starter real well. The raisins that i give the are the ones in the tiny box.

2. Debi214

Debi214 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    Richmond, VA
    I have always given all of my chicks treats from the time they are 2 to 3 weeks old - they even love chick grit; gobble it up faster than cracked corn. Give them some protein snacks for feather development. Not too much cracked corn or fruit cause it makes their poo really runny & smelly. Veggies are great!

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    The general rule of thumb is that their treats should not be more then 10% of their daily intake. While they are growing they really need the complete nutrition of their starter/grower. Like human peeps, they will fill up on the stuff they like most.

4. Kim_NC

Kim_NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Mt Airy, NC
    I start giving treats at about 2 weeks. At first only greens - clover and snipped grass or chickweed. They'll need chick grit available if you feed treats.

I echo the 10% rule of thumb. I keep treats to that level for young birds. Even for adults, I never feed over 15% treats and then use a higher protein feed to balance protein intake.

5. Chicken Fruit

Chicken Fruit Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Echo Homestead
    I'd give them grit. But my chicks have always gotten treats.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by