Is it bad to take chicks from mean mom?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by stefmech, Apr 29, 2009.

1. stefmech

stefmech Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2008
    American Fork, UT
    Ok, I just wanted to hear some advice. My broody just hatched out 5 chicks. She is a leghorn and not a people person. I raised her from a chick but she never liked me. She is darn right mean. If I bend down to give her food or change the water she will jump on my arm or back and attack me. My kids cannot interact with the chicks because she is so dangerous.

One of the reasons I thought it would be fun to hatch chicks is to see the mother and chick interaction. But I also want to be able to interact with the chicks too.

This is my question. Are all mother hens so mean or is it just mine? Do I have unrealistic expectations to be able to hold and bond with chicks too or this impossible when a broody hatches them?

I have to go in the pen with a long sleeved shirt and gloves for my protection - even them she will still attack me.

I am thinking of taking the chicks and raising them myself and getting rid of her. What do you think?

Last edited: Apr 29, 2009
  2. fernandez0067

fernandez0067 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2008
    Schenectady
    THats what I would do!

3. Shared Acres

Shared Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    Sounds like she wants to become dinner.

4. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    Go for it! She should not be so mean.

We, also, had our first hatch this week. Our slightly skittish Phoenix has become an ideal mom. She has even tolerated me reaching under her to remove pieces of shell & to check the babies. She did screach like a raptor when one of the other hens walked into the pen where we are keeping her. I expect her to keep the other hens away. The jumping on humans thing that your hen is doing is WAY over the top - IMHO.

5. rachiegirl

rachiegirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    Beaver Co. PA
    I think I would have to get rid of her. You and the kids shouldn't have to be afraid and protect yourself from your own pets. Cook her up for supper, or try to find someone that will take her. Just make sure they know she is aggressive. Good Luck!! [​IMG]

6. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Or use her as a feathered bator and ALWAYS take the babies to raise yourself...

7. 92caddy

92caddy Egg Lover

May 18, 2007
    Portland, IN
    Some hens are meaner then others, she is only protecting her babies, shes being a good momma.............

8. stefmech

stefmech Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2008
    American Fork, UT
    She starved herself during the incubation so she is way too scrawny to eat [​IMG]

This is my first broody, so I didn't know if the whole psycho chicken thing was normal. Anyone have a broody who let's them get close to her chicks?

9. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Quote:[​IMG]

10. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    I had a broody who let me check the eggs and handle the chicks. But she didn't like the actual chicks! Kept trying to stuff them back under her. She killed 2 before we realized she was a space cadet. Rescued the 3rd one who is doing great!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by