Is it Barred Rocks you can gender by the dot on the head?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by fshinggrl, Apr 26, 2011.

1. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    I got three barred rocks and two of them have a pin point of white on the head but the other one's white is a tad bit bigger and more sporatic. Is this the breed that you can sex by the dot? What do you think of this bigger dot?
    [​IMG]
    Thanks! Those are light brahma's and EE's with the Barred rocks.
    Ok, and look at it's feet (on left) next to the chick with the tiniest amount of white on her head...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 26, 2011
  2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

3. fshinggrl

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    So, in my opinion, it appears that a cockeral may have slipped into my order. Dot 'looks' sporatic to me and the feet are definately lighter on the bigger spot chick.

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Don't be too hasty to get rid of the chick, though. The sexing rules are not 100%. I have had dark cockerels and very light pullets. My own Lexie had a huge head spot and lighter coloring and some pullets do. You have confusing traits in about 10% of hatchery stock and seems about 50% of breeder/show stock.

5. fshinggrl

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    Quote:I'm not going to be hasty.. I am just obsessive and a little neurotic! [​IMG] I did this for all my SLW pullets two years ago. I was betting on 3 of them being cockerals and they weren't. Thanks! I appreciate the insight!

6. bburn

bburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    I saved the link. If all my chicks would hold still for a moment I might could figure some of them out. I have some BO over RIR chicks also. They are really cute. I can however already see red combs on chicks that will be two weeks old Thursday. Am going to find something to separate the brooder as it is really large and start moving them.

Will wait on my DGD to help me gather them by breed and see what we can figure out. What can I use to put on their legs that would label them for a while. I need to be able to remove it later.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by