Is it best to give them warm food in the A.M. or P.M.?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by redhen, Dec 9, 2008.

1. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Silly question..but i have been wondering...should i bring my girls their warm food in the morning or at night before bed time?...i wonder if the warm food would help them get through the cold night better?..or the cold blustery days outside?...i know..stupid question...[​IMG]..but, i'm still curious. Thanks, Wendy

2. Leah-yes I know I'm crazy

Leah-yes I know I'm crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    Skidway Lake, MI
    Just an opinion, no science behind it, it's usually colder in the early morning than it is in the afternoon, and anything left in the coop late into the evening/overnight is going to attract rodents. Also, warming them up ahead of going out into runs or before free ranging is more benneficial than warming them up before they sit sharing their body heat on roosts inside the coop for the night. I've been in my coop at 7pm with all the birds in there and it is toasty. So if I was going to make a routine out of it I'd go with the morning.

3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Leah-yes I know I'm crazy :

Just an opinion, no science behind it, it's usually colder in the early morning than it is in the afternoon, and anything left in the coop late into the evening/overnight is going to attract rodents. Also, warming them up ahead of going out into runs or before free ranging is more benneficial than warming them up before they sit sharing their body heat on roosts inside the coop for the night. I've been in my coop at 7pm with all the birds in there and it is toasty. So if I was going to make a routine out of it I'd go with the morning.

Thank You!....it makes sense!..again..i know my question was dumb..LOL..but..i have been pondering this lately..[​IMG]..thanks for all the smart advice!..., Wendy​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by