Is it best to just rehome him?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jprice2ndlt, Nov 23, 2009.

1. jprice2ndlt

jprice2ndlt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Hodges, S.C.
    I have 2 roosters in a pen along with 5 hens. The 2 roosters are the same age about 20-25 weeks. One of the roosters keeps getting beat up by the hens so i decided i would move him to another pen with 2 hens that i had seperated. Let me start with he scalped on of the hens when he was about 8 weeks. As soon as i put him in there with them he went straight for the hen that he injured before. he pinned her in a corner of the run trying to pull out her head feathers and hitting her with his feet. then he chased her in the coop and did the same thing. he wasnt trying to mate her and her didnt pay attetion to the other hen. I moved him back in the other pen becase i didnt want him to hurt the little hen. Do yall think i should rehome him or what should i do? here is a pic of him. he is the brown one.

[​IMG]

2. ChickBond 007

ChickBond 007 Licensed to Cull

Feb 26, 2009
    Madison County, Iowa
    Looks like a crock pot candidate to me.

3. waterpossum

waterpossum Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2009
    Waukomis
    he would look really great w/ some gravy on his head! Kill him and eat him or just kill him...don/t put a problem roo on somebody else

4. rhoda_bruce

rhoda_bruce Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Cut Off, LA
    No cure for meanness. Just hang him upside-down and slit his throat and after he finishes flapping his wings, start plucking. Problem solved and tomorrow's meal is decided.

5. Soccer Mom

Soccer Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    West of Crazy
    I agree that rehoming a mean rooster isn't a cure. Why let him terrorize someone else's hens? If you can't bring yourself to make dinner of him, sell him to someone else who will.

6. 6chickens in St. Charles

6chickens in St. Charles Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    St. Charles, IL
    Mine is rehomed to the house. He's watching TV with the boys. All that preteen testosterone on one couch......he acts like he lives here. Belts out a big crow when he feels a surge of that preteen boy hormone............

We luckily found a gentleman with new ducks who said he'd take him in a few days, but I just read your previous poster, who wrote "rehoming a mean rooster isnt a cure"...and now we're worried, what if he attack's this gentleman's birds?

This roo of ours is a very good pet. He never was mean before this week. But he attacks his dad, our Silkie rooster. It's as though his hormone button just turned on and he realized "OMG!!! That's a ROOSTER!!! KILL IT!!!" and its all he cares about. I wish you luck with yours, I will watch this thread and hope for the best for both you and me!

7. LeghornLisa

LeghornLisa Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    I just had to re-home 2 silkie roos. One of them ripped "Janey's" comb and she is a standard size BO. I had to separate the boys and physically put them in the coop at night in a dog crate so they didn't hurt the girls. This went on for about 2 weeks, as I tried to find them a good home. Every morning I would carry them out to their section of the run and every night I would carry them into the dog crate in the coop. One was very relaxed and friendly, funny thing is he was the alpha roo, did all the crowing and matured faster than the other. The problem was the other one, a few weeks ago he bit me twice and got me pretty good when I tried to move him. Having small children, not having enough space and not even being zoned for a rooster, I couldn't keep them. It broke my heart to re-home them but I was able to find them a good home (no freezer camp) at a farm close by. They were actually excited to take my boys, they already had silkies. If I were you, I would re-home them, I'm sure my boys are happier and I know my girls are. Not a day goes by that I don't think about them but I know I did the best thing for everyone. Your roo might just need a new flock.....good luck

8. rhoda_bruce

rhoda_bruce Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Cut Off, LA
    Eat him

9. waterpossum

waterpossum Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2009
    Waukomis
    Quote:the bad thing about rehoming is just what the previous thread said.....what if they hurt someone elses birds or person? do you think that rehoming them will completely change the behaviour of these birds or are you just not able to think about killing your birds? it can be very hard to make such a decision but life on the farm is not easy at all. farmers 50 years ago would not do such a thing. it wouldn/t even be a question. they would be supper and the family would be thankful for a mean*& roo cuz he fed the family on Sunday afternoon. a lot of the problems today is that it seems that people find it harder to take responsibility for such things when it was commonplace just a few years ago. nobody WANTS to have to kill their roos especially if they/ve been somewhat of a pet but its the responsibility that a person takes on as a farmer even if its just a few animals

10. Lensters

Lensters Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2009
    Adair Village, OR
    Eat him quick, before the hormones ruin the meat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by