Is it better in the spring of fall for Turkey eggs?

I don't think it matters except that if it's in the Spring then you don't have to worry as much about keeping the poults warm since the temps are warmer.

Well being in Florida not overly worried about the cold season, I love the fact that I don't have to shovel snow anymore
wee.gif

When turkeys lay in the fall it's the more than likely the 2nd cycle of the year and fertility won't be as good as it is in the spring. Also, if it's still hot in the fall the toms won't be as potent as they are in the spring.
As far as shipping eggs they don't travel well in the heat. We usually stop shipping eggs in June, alot of people ship them all summer but when we ship eggs we have much more happy customers when they hatch. lol

Steve in NC

Strangely, my 5 heritage turkey hens have been laying eggs NON-STOP since early spring. All have had hatches regardless of when they laid their nests. The hens tend to start laying eggs again as soon as their poults are 3 weeks old. They've all done the exact same thing. Some of the eggs were eaten by skunks etc, but I can't believe how many nests these hens are laying. The tom is always around, so I assume the eggs are all fertile. But the hatchery person here probably knows his stuff, so he may have better advice than I.

I truly think FL is different. All of our REd Bourbons lay spring through Nov and always have high hatch rates.

Back
Top Bottom