Is it better to apron a run or to bury the fencing?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by andythescot, Mar 27, 2011.

1. andythescot

andythescot Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2009
    Central Mass
    Hi all!
    Sometime soon I'll be reconstructing my run (and coop as well I suppose!) and I'm wondering if it is better to prevent predators from digging under by skirting the run with hardware cloth or by digging a trench so the hardware cloth goes into the ground. Which is more popular?

2. allieloveschickens

allieloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    San Diego
    I think both methods work, I personally buried my fencing because I don't like the look of the wire curtain, but I know that the curtain is also very effective for preventing dig ins.

3. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    I have an apron in a trench. [​IMG] Really.

4. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Quote:eta: I buried my apron because it was in a high traffic area and also in an area were plants are grown so I hid it 12" down.

5. MetalSmitten

MetalSmitten Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2010
    bloomington, indiana
    i like to have an apron that is continued up the side of the fencing a little bit. that way, it not only prevents dig-ins, but also prevents tiny chicks from getting out, and prevents raccoons etc from reaching in (at least, as easily). [​IMG]

6. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Unless you just enjoy digging, it's just as effective to lay it on the surface and put an inch or two of dirt over it so grass can anchor it in place.

If you bury it 12 inches, that's how deep a predator will dig before giving up.

If it's down 1 inch, they will stop there

It's your choice

7. lfreem2

lfreem2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2010
    Waxhaw, NC
    We did a 14-18 inch apron spreading out on the ground all around. With a 35 foot long run, I couldn't fathom the thought of digging a trench all around (!!!). We then also bought those huge 12 inch long nail spikes at the hardware store that are as thick as a finger with very large washers that fit them and I drove them through the hardwire cloth on the ground with a hammer to act like stakes to pin the apron down. There is little chance (I hope) that a critter could lift that up (heck, I couldn't even pull them back out of the ground!).

I then mulched the apron all around the coop about two inches so that it would look nice and you couldn't see the wire all around. It looks great and you would never know there is an apron there, and I didn't have to go through the effort of digging.

8. Doopy

Doopy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    Quote:This is the best reply. I'm not sure why anyone would want to bury the skirt any deeper than necessary. You could just lay it on the ground and let grass/weeds grow up through it.

9. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Quote:This is the best reply. I'm not sure why anyone would want to bury the skirt any deeper than necessary. You could just lay it on the ground and let grass/weeds grow up through it.

I built my coop this winter layed the apron down & anchored it to the ground. Spring has arrived & the apron has disappeared. It is now covered with grass. Done deal. I hate digging.[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 28, 2011
  10. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Yeap. YOu really need to go down 18" of burial to keep out dogs and coyotes (and note that if you have a "professional" red fox in your area, who's USED to digging under fences to raid chicken flocks, even that is not necessarily going to be enough) and that is just too darn much WORK in most soils.

An apron works as well *assuming you do it right*, for far less work. So, no-brainer to me [​IMG]

(* - do it right involves making the apron at least 2' wide, wider if you have known things-digging-in problems; secure it very well to the foot of the run fence; turn the free edge down a bit so it isn't obvious; and either pin it down well til the turf "consumes" it, or cover it with your choice of material)

Very large concrete pavers, like at least 18x24", make a pretty good apron too btw, although if you have serious rodent problems it is probably a *little* more of a risk for having rodents set up home under there.

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by