Is it big enough

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by moodlymoo, Oct 18, 2011.

1. moodlymoo

moodlymoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2011
    Portland OR
    I have a 10x10 coop w/4 nest boxes, and a 4x16 run. My girls free range 4-5hrs a day but my question now is, do I have enough space for these 18 girls I own?

2. GardenGal

GardenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western WA
    If they're happy I wouldn't worry about it. A more detailed answer would require me to do math, and I'm only good at chicken math [​IMG]

3. PixieChixie

PixieChixie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2011
    I'm only good at chicken math this late, but I will try [​IMG]
    Looks like you have plenty of room inside, but the outside run is small.
    The general rule is 4 square feet/bird in he coop. You have 100 square feet inside. That is enough for 25 birds (if my brain is working right).
    The rule is 10 square feet/bird in the run. You have (argh! [​IMG] Think, pixie!) 64 suare feet outside. Is that right? Is the run smaller than the coop? That would be enough for 6-7 birds outside,

4. GardenGal

GardenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western WA
    Does that matter though if the birds free range half the day? Trying to learn as well [​IMG]

5. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

I think if they could free range all day it would be fine, but even a few hours confined would make it too small. Our run is 240 square feet for 12 chickens and to me, it looks small. I hate for them to be locked up in it all day (we can't free range here) but technically it's plenty big at 20 square feet each.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by