is it black or blue now !?Rooster got blueish offspring but is blackcopper ????

strangeanimal

Songster
Mar 21, 2017
Belgium
My Marans rooster has been staying at some people in the area , they really wanted chicks BUT , he fathered blue / smokey chicks ????? the mother is a light sussex I didn't get pics from their chicks but my marans rooster is bought as a '' BLACK copper marans '' not blue !! I will have to do my best to get him on picture but that will be when he comes 2 sleep , in waiting of that I have to admit his feathers look darkblue but isn't that how a black one looks like ? it is just a shine on the black , found a pic online a spittin image from him but that was placed with '' BLUE copper marans rooster " ???? any input plse !!
upload_2017-5-28_19-1-24.jpeg

If your bird has an iridescent sheen, he's black. Blue chickens are gray and don't have the sheen.

Let's just assume you are correct about which chickens are the parents. Your male could have come from a black/blue/splash pen and be black but split to blue (one gene for each). He looks black because that trait dominates.

The Sussex could have come from a Light/Coronation group and be hiding blue behind her black as well.

Pair those two and the blue can show up.

Put two with a recessive gene together and the offspring may show a trait that neither adult does. That's how recessives work.
hi ty for explanation , altough I assumed sussex is not owning the recessive white ?
Secondly is my roo a black copper or a blue copper ? I do not get it because the offspring should 've been reddish ( with a white / silver ) ???

so blue copper ? black copper ? no one who can say so ?
and the question about the feathers : are very much blue but aren't they all like that ? in the sun ?? further he is more grey looking rather than black but really dark and the copper has a typically gold look .... blue ? black? i did not see their chicks as close as they have btw and I don't know another roo could have been involved yet this one stayed for long time .....

If your bird has an iridescent sheen, he's black. Blue chickens are gray and don't have the sheen.

Let's just assume you are correct about which chickens are the parents. Your male could have come from a black/blue/splash pen and be black but split to blue (one gene for each). He looks black because that trait dominates.

The Sussex could have come from a Light/Coronation group and be hiding blue behind her black as well.

hii very much clear and valuable information thx again !

Maybe you are thinking of lavender?

Blue is an incomplete dominant gene. If the gene is there it will express itself. It can't be hidden. If a bird has one blue gene then it will be blue. Two blue genes and it will be splash. No blue genes and the bird will be black. This is true whether the bird is a solid color or patterned.

The depth of the blue color can vary from light to dark too., to complicate matters.

Can you post a picture of the male in question?

Maybe you are thinking of lavender?

Blue is an incomplete dominant gene. If the gene is there it will express itself. It can't be hidden. If a bird has one blue gene then it will be blue. Two blue genes and it will be splash. No blue genes and the bird will be black. This is true whether the bird is a solid color or patterned.

The depth of the blue color can vary from light to dark too., to complicate matters.

Can you post a picture of the male in question?
You're right, I guess I must have been thinking of lavender.

Back
Top Bottom