Is it broken?

B_Chickle01

Songster
Nov 11, 2020
Stephentown,Ny
So at my job theres a cornish rock who appears to have injury. I was messaged on day off to come access the situation.. Im trying to help her and nurse her back to health(if possible) but the placement of the injury is really odd.. is it broken? Or what? Idk if she was walking on her hocks too but she has tiny little marks almost like friction marks. Idk if u can tell in pic its swollen and red. Attached photos below. Any help is appreciated I just have to give her a fair shake.

Attachments

• 1646961D-3590-40E8-A69B-D5D7CE8A69EE.jpeg
    1646961D-3590-40E8-A69B-D5D7CE8A69EE.jpeg
    548.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 0D4545CC-863B-479A-AEC7-B5423A57061F.jpeg
    0D4545CC-863B-479A-AEC7-B5423A57061F.jpeg
    320.4 KB · Views: 1
  • BB6E6D27-2A49-49C0-8EDB-8A7EA146CBFD.jpeg
    BB6E6D27-2A49-49C0-8EDB-8A7EA146CBFD.jpeg
    375.7 KB · Views: 1
They aren't friction marks, just lines where scales will eventually be. More pronounced due to the swelling.
Hard to know if the foot is broken or not. Could she have gotten the foot hung in something or stuck on a hot brooder plate? Keep her separated out with her own food and water. Limit her activity. You can give her foot a daily soak in a warm epsom salts bath to see if that helps reduce swelling, but an injury can take weeks to resolved.

Last edited:
a cornish rock who appears to have injury

How old is she? When I had meat chickens, we butchered them at 8-10 weeks. After that, I hear you can have all kinds of problems with them due to heavy weight and poor bones.

Keep her separated out with her own food and water. Limit her activity.

That's what I am thinking, too. Hope she gets better.

They aren't friction marks, just lines where scales will eventually be. More pronounced due to the swelling.
Hard to know if the foot is broken or not. Could she have gotten the foot hung in something or stuck on a hot brooder plate? Keep her separated out with her own food and water. Limit her activity. You can give her foot a daily soak in a warm epsom salts bath to see if that helps reduce swelling, but an injury can take weeks to resolved.
Wow it looked like she had two small cuts on outside of leg here shank bends. U dont think splint or boot is necessary? Will try epsom salts. I wasn't at work when she came in i was told that they noticed upon unloading them after shipping. Im hoping its not going to effect her healing because of no one contacting me until days after. She was separated right away I noticed chicks in there drying from pasty butt jumping on her so grabbed her up asap.

How old is she? When I had meat chickens, we butchered them at 8-10 weeks. After that, I hear you can have all kinds of problems with them due to heavy weight and poor bones.

That's what I am thinking, too. Hope she gets better.
No not the case shes a couple days old. Little baby. I kkow leg issues are common because their legs cant support their bodies when older from being bred to grow fast and big. But shes just a little guy or girl

Back
Top Bottom