Is it Coccidiosis or intestinal lining?

Palinor

Songster
Sep 10, 2017
Columbia, CA
I've seen a couple of bloody poops from my girls and I'm not sure if they're sick or they're shedding their lining (little over a year old silver laced wyandottes) They act ok, eager for food, active, their feathers are ruffled are their combs have color. I'm going to treat them with corid but I'm worried they're sick. I might love my birds a bit too much . . .
pic below

I would start corid treatment. If it is cocci it will take over fast if untreated. I actually had a silkie to have bloody poops and act fine. I thought it was lining. The next day she was sick and I started corid. By day 3 she was back to herself.

That's a tough one.... the poop itself looks good but I'm not experienced enough to decipher if the blood is intestinal lining or not. I would think lining would be chunkier. :idunno
it's a tough call. They act ok but a previous reply said that their silkie acted ok and then was sick the next day. I guess I"m going to treat them to be safe

Looks like blood to me, and any blood is never normal in my flock. If they were mine I would treat with Corid.

FDA and MFG recommended doses:
  • Powder dose is no less than 1.5 teaspoons per gallon for 5 days, then 1/3 teaspoon for 7-14 days.
  • Liquid Powder dose is 2 teaspoons per gallon for 5 days, then 1/2 teaspoon for 7-14 days.
Ignore direction on the package, that's the cattle dose, not the chicken dose. Also ignore any post that says 1/2 teaspoon per gallon because that dose is based on flawed math and science.

unnamed.jpg

Back
Top Bottom