Is it coccoid or something else?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by liljenjennc, Jul 31, 2014.

1. liljenjennc

liljenjennc In the Brooder

Mar 26, 2014
    I have 11 girls all between the ages of 21 and 23 weeks. 5 of them have started laying in the past 10 days. Yesterday I noticed what looked like blood in some poop. It looked normal except for a little bit of blood so I sat out there and watched to see who it was coming from and I saw it come feom two of my girls who have started laying. I looked up the poop chart and it just didnt look like any of the pics for the coccoid or the worms so I guess what I'm wondering is if this could be since they just started laying? One of them laid one small egg her first day amd has laid huge double yolks every day since so could that be the problem?

2. liljenjennc

Mar 26, 2014
    Oh and I forgot to mention that everyone is acting normal and eating and drinking. No one has ruffled feathers or is acting lethargic or anything. That's why I'm so confused. .. I've called around and found some corrid about an hour away that im happy to go get if any of you think thats what I need?I'll try to post the picture I got of the poop in question. These are just my first chicken babies so I need all the advice I can get! Thanks for any help!

Last edited: Jul 31, 2014
  3. liljenjennc

Mar 26, 2014
    Any ideas?

4. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Crowing

I would suspect this is related to the fact that they just started laying, or it could be shed intestinal lining as well. BUT, at the same time, I get pretty twitchy when it comes to blood in the poop of young or youngish birds just because coccidiosis is so lethal. I tend to treat for it if I suspect it's even a possibility since by the time it's progressed enough to make the birds feel and act crummy sometimes it's hard to save them. That's also why I keep Corid on hand at al times. So, that info probably doesn't help your decision a whole lot lol! You don't have any feed stores or a Tractor Supply near you that carry Corid in the cattle dept.? If you can post a pic that will be helpful.

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Free Ranging Premium Member 7 Years

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Here are a couple of threads with pictures of intestinal shed:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/897126/worms-or-shed-intestinal-lining-yucky-pics
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...ctures-included-warning-gross-for-some-people

Here is a good picture of blood in the stool: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/841908/bloody-stool

When in doubt it is best to treat for cocci. Capillaria worms can also cause blood in the stool in older birds. SafeGuard 1 ml orally for 5 days in a row will treat capillaria worms.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: