Is it common for silkies/showgirls to back up?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by thndrdancr, Dec 22, 2007.

1. thndrdancr

thndrdancr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2007
    Belleville, Kansas
    Ok, my little Dash does the funniest stuff. And she is perfectly healthy, so its not that. She is just...AGILE. When you call them and clap your hands like you do with a puppy, she gets so excited, she puts her lil head down and butt in the air and backs up. Just like a puppy would do.

She actually backs a LOT. When trying to catch her, she backs, pivots, swivels, and...DASH........she is gone. She still reminds me of a lil spider the way she darts around. (I don't mean spider in a bad way, just that you see this little fast BLUR out of the corner of your eye, and then poof its gone!). [​IMG]

I was just wondering if this is common in silkies, man if she was outside I would NEVER catch her.
    Pictures just do not show how this lil gal gets around.

Jill

Last edited: Dec 22, 2007
  2. SillyChick

SillyChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2007
    Oh yes, it's normal. I think. I'm no professional, but my chickens do that also. Funny [​IMG]. When I try to hold him he will panic and jump and fly away. But they don't go far; they just back up a few meters. You can try to get them and pet them, let them sit on your lap and rub them. They can like you in that way. It will make them not to worry when you try to get them. Sometimes they even sleep on your lap!

Good luck with your Silkie! [​IMG]

3. Gracie_Chickie

Gracie_Chickie Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2007
    Indiana
    That sounds really cute and comical! I wish I could see it!! None of my chickens go in reverse!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by