Is it common to hatch more boys than girls?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by macdoogle2, Dec 9, 2011.

1. macdoogle2

macdoogle2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2011
    San Diego
    I have limited experience hatching but: 5 out of 8 boys, 1 out of 16 a boy and 2 out of 3 boys. I love boys but when it comes to chickens I want more girls.

2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

It's 50%. You flip the coin for each chick. Heads is not more common than tails, but you could end up getting more heads flips than tails.

3. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    50/50 is the average over large numbers of chicks. You could get anything in a small hatch. All the way from all boys to all girls. Each egg has a 50/50 chance.

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I agree with the other posts. It all averages out. Some hatches you may get more males and other hatches females. It's a 50/50 chance.

5. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Quote:Did I read this right? Your second hatch, you hatched 16 and only 1 of them was a boy? In that case, if you add up your three hatches, you got 27 chicks and only 8 of them were boys so it sounds like you actually got a lot more girls than boys....

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I remember my first hatch with pasofino's eggs. Started with 14 eggs. Only got 6 pullets and no roos. amazing hey...?.

7. macdoogle2

macdoogle2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2011
    San Diego
    Quote:Did I read this right? Your second hatch, you hatched 16 and only 1 of them was a boy? In that case, if you add up your three hatches, you got 27 chicks and only 8 of them were boys so it sounds like you actually got a lot more girls than boys....

Actually, no. Only one out of 16 hatched and it was a boy. They were supposed to be Auracanas bought on e-bay but he turned out to be an EE. Beautiful boy though.

8. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Oh, I see. Well, you have had a little bad luck then. [​IMG] My luck has been roughly the opposite of yours. I've also had 3 hatches that sound similar to yours. First 3 out of 4 were girls, second only 1 hatched (shipped eggs) and it was a girl and in the last hatch 4 out of 7 were girls. So sorry for your experience - hope it gets better.

9. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Chillin' With My Peeps

Well for me it is very common to get more boys than girls. I'm just *lucky* that way.

10. kvmommy

kvmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    every hatch I've had has had 1 boy and the rest girls. Lucky I guess.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by