1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is it common to have an ALL male hatch?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by 1stACT, Oct 7, 2013.

1. 1stACT

1stACT Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2013
    Skippack, Pennsylvania
    Last spring I attempted my first incubated hatch. Of 14 eggs, 6 hatched. Two peeps died within three days, leaving me with 4 sweet healthy peeps who have since grown into 4 very handsome roos. So, was I unlucky not to have at least one hen in the hatch? Or, did I do something wrong re: heat or humidity to aid in the production of roos. Don't get me wrong, I love my boys, but I was really hoping to increase my "laying flock". Any thoughts

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Temperature of the incubator does play such a role. Too cool and I think, if I remember correctly, you tend to get a larger percentage of pullet eggs surviving. Too hot and the "curve" tilts significantly toward getting cockerels. Hope I have that right.

3. 1stACT

1stACT Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2013
    Skippack, Pennsylvania
    I had feeling that might have been the answer. I keep my house cool (58-60 deg.), so I think I over compensated w/the heat of the incubator. Thanks!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by