Is it common when ordering from a hatchery

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by tara7815, Sep 17, 2009.

1. tara7815

tara7815 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2009
    to have some not make the journey?
    What do you do if one is completely lifeless? Not moving - not opening eyes - nothing no matter what you do - but you can still see it is breathing?

I don't want to be heartless but I also don't want to be foolish either.

What would you have done?

2. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Yes it's a common occurrence, and I would put it down if it was part of my order.

3. paoniapoultry

paoniapoultry Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2009
    Paonia, Colorado
    yes, sometimes they do not make it... they arrive dead in the box and that is normal...

sometimes they are also about to die when they arrive... i have often saved them just by a little tlc... some milk or a nice milk/scrambled egg slurry... some fresh comfrey pieces, also a little boost in their water could help (an electrolyte mix that you can buy at the feed store)... an oatmeal/milk mash is often a savior as well... oh yes, and sunlight... vitamin d is so important and i think i have saved many a chick just by holding him or her up to the sunlight...

sometimes though, you can just see it, they need to die... it's harsh, but it happens... for the little chicks, i have just dunked their head in a glass of water until they are dead (sometimes it takes 1 minute)... this is always a last resort for me, but sometimes i know i just have to end the suffering...

4. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    It's fairly common for some or all to die in shipping. But that's not to say it's ok.. Usually you can email the hatchery with photos and say they died upon arrival or shortly after and they will replace it with the same kind or if you ordered a layers pack etc just grab some out of the pack and send them...

5. chicknjane

chicknjane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2009
    Pine Grove, PA
    I'm so sorry to hear you have to deal with this type of situation. I had 10 out of 15 sadly die within 24 hours of receipt, they looked said and acted like they were drunk. Sometime it just happens and there's nothing you can do. You could try giving a little sugar water, just dip his beak in and see if he tries to drink.

There isn't much else I can suggest to do other than the obvious warmth, food and water.

I would call the hatchery and let them know what is going on. Be ready to answer all sorts of questions and tell them what you did to help the chicks. You may want to wait and see how many chicks are lost.

Good luck, and let us know what happens.

6. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    Quote:A lady i know (used to come on here), which knows a lot about poultry researching them through and through, said not to give them sugar water. Says it can cause Vitamin B deficiencies...

Last edited: Sep 17, 2009
  7. randomchick

randomchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2009
    Prescott, Ontario
    They hatchery I deal with guarantees %100 live delivery of all chicks. If one came with the symptoms you've described, I would contact the hatchery and have them send me a complimentary chick.

8. tara7815

tara7815 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2009
    We're pretty new to this and didn't attempt any sort of rescue. I know I don't know a lot about chickens but this one was clearly on its way out - it took us quite some time to even discover that it was breathing. And it was being pecked something fierce by the others. So my husband handled it and thats all I have to say about that (just cuz it breaks my heart - not that I think he did the wrong thing).

I emailed the hatchery and informed them. But because it was such a small order they will only replace 5 or more - for the 1 they are just going to credit my credit card. I would have had her send me 5 new ones (at my expense) but I don't want another 7 packing peanuts..LOL

9. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Two of my chicks died in transit. One was obviously smaller than the rest; not sure what the deal was with the other.
    I contacted the hatchery (Ideal) that day and the refund for those two chicks was in my bank account by the end of the day.
    If a chick was just weak, then yes I'd try to save it. Lifeless, but still breathing I would cull.

10. chicknjane

chicknjane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2009
    Pine Grove, PA
    Quote:A lady i know (used to come on here), which knows a lot about poultry researching them through and through, said not to give them sugar water. Says it can cause Vitamin B deficiencies...

Ideal Poultry recommends sugar water in the How to Care for Chicks pages. I know electrolytes are preferable, but most people do not have it lying around the house. Sugar water or electrolytes should not be given on a regular basis and when they are given only for the 24 hours at most.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by