Is it crazy to barter eggs for...

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by bkreugar, Jun 5, 2011.

1. bkreugar

bkreugar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Asheboro NC
    Dh and I could not agree on a garden plan. So we have not done one.

My son(8) loves to garden so I am thinking POSSIBLY of doing a small raised bed for lettuce,carrots, corn (probably wont be able to do the corn)tomatoes and spinach. I am in central nc so it may not be too late.

However it occurs to me that MAYBE I could barter eggs for the veggies I would like including pototoes.

How crazy an idea is this? I have been selling the eggs for $2 a dozen.

If I did it where would I advertize? The local paper is $15 for a 2 day ad! Craigslist would seem a possibility but the closest/ busiest one is based about 25 miles from us.

Does anyone have any expereince with this??

2. equinelyn

equinelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Southern York County
    Craigslist is good. Try free ads like hoobly. Local paper maybe. But word of mouth is best.

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

We trade our eggs for fresh fruits and veggies from a guy that can't seem to keep chickens alive. He grows all kinds of stuff and is practically banging our door down weekly. I have more egg customers than eggs these days.

4. critterranch

critterranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2010
    Red Creek, New York
    cl is good. the cl listing i use is 50 miles from me but everyone usees that one it gets more traffic. just put city and zip in your ad you will find local people you will be surprised.

5. Laurajean

Laurajean Slightly Touched

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    I think I might be sick in the head. I saw the title "Is It crazy to barter eggs for...." and had all these RIDICULOUS things running through my head that you could have meant, all things I can't even say on BYC. I seriously think I've been tainted by TV or the outside world in general. Veggies. Of course you meant veggies. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. aggie9296

aggie9296 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2011
    Panama City, FL
    Quote:I was thinking something similar! Then I was thinking Dr Quinn, medicine woman taking eggs in exchange for medical care.

7. perolane

perolane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    Louisiana
    Quote:[​IMG] Me too!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Forgot to add....if you have a local farmer's market, perhaps one of the vendors would barter eggs for produce. They can then sell them. Or eat them. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 6, 2011
  8. Spookwriter

Spookwriter Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Ohio
    Bartering your eggs is a good deal.

(I've traded my eggs for fresh homemade fudge...better that brownies, even.)

I know a local man who last year bartered/contracted all his eggs for one year
    to a contractor for a new metal roof on his home and out buildings. I would of
    said that was a good deal.

I like trading.

9. Laurajean

Laurajean Slightly Touched

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Quote:[​IMG] I would SOOO trade my eggs for a year for a new metal roof!!!!

10. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    I have already started this with a neighbor of mine. He comes over to buy my eggs and always grows a hugh garden so I offered and he accepted. So now I wait!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by