is it cruel to discard of eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ChickenLove6, Sep 26, 2014.

1. ChickenLove6

ChickenLove6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2012
    England, Leamington spa
    I have a broody hen who is sitting on 4 fertile eggs they are between 3 to 7 days old. I don't want any chicks because I may get cockerels so i want to take them away from her but would it be cruel? To both the hen and chicks inside? Any advice? Thanks!

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    A bit to both. Best approach if you don't want to hatch chicks is to immediately break a broody and then you can eat the eggs.

3. red horse ranch

red horse ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2014
    Buffalo Wyoming
    It goes against my natural instinct to throw away eggs that are fertile, whether an embryo is developing or not. To me every egg is a potential baby. But I have done it when the eggs are less than a week into incubating and I really can't handle any more babies. The egg will cool and any developing baby will just stop developing and die. I doubt that it would suffer.
    The hen will be upset and will probably keep setting until you break her from being broody. She may look for other eggs to set on.

Another option is to ask around and see if you can give the chicks away when they hatch. Or post an ad on Craig's List after they hatch. I've always been able to find homes for chicks when I didn't want to keep them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by