Is it cruel to keep a chick by itself for a couple of days?

chris10sen

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 30, 2010
So I posted earlier about mixing 2 different ages of chicks. I am getting four one day olds from MPC next week. But a local farm store has one 3 week Australorphs and I wish I would have included it in my MPC order. So would the one be Ok for awhile until I get the other chicks, and until I think the other chicks are settled enough to mix the two. The other question about mixing the two groups would be temperature. The day olds need it close to 95 correct? Well what temperature do 3 week olds need?

Thanks for any advice,

Lisa

It's not good for a chick to be by itself, even just for a few days. They get very lonely. The age difference would also be a problem.
hmm.png

It's probably wisest to not buy the Australorps.
smile.png

I mix chicks of various ages. I find that integrating them when they are young is easiest. I would suggest you get two chicks form the feed store. Then it won't be lonely. When the MPC chicks arrive, seperate them so they can see each other but not interact unless the smaller chicks want to. I have a small grate that I surround my youngest chicks form the big guys til they are comfortable. the babies can go back and forth but the large chicks can't get in.

As for temp. My brooder is large enough the chicks can get where they need to for temp. The lamp is about 18" maybe24" now that it's warmer outside from the floor and the chicks settle where they feel most comfortable. I have a group of month olds, a group of 2 weekers and tomorrow will be adding in day olds. They sort themselves just fine.

That is what I thought. Thanks for the info. But do you know how hard it is to wait? We are down to roughly 5 days and it is killing me! I wanted instant gratification.... It has been a month since I placed my order with MPC.

Lisa

Of course we know how hard it is to wait!
lol.png
But sometimes going slowly is much better than instant gratification.
old.gif

I have a lone chick that my BF brought home from a feed store after we figured out one of my EE's is a roo (possibly both of them). I am already over my limit (dictated by the city), and trying to decide if it will be okay to raise her alone until she is big enough to integrate. She seems fine now. Yesterday she peeped all evening, but putting a mirror in there has quieted her down to the point that I forget she is there sometimes. I am off for the summer, so I am giving her lots of attention. We'll see.... wouldn't mind an actual Ameracauna chick to put in there with her.......
wink.png

52854_mirror.jpg

Back
Top Bottom