Is It Cruel ??

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by mrszlopez, May 16, 2009.

1. mrszlopez

mrszlopez Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    Jackson,NJ
    To give chickens chicken ? I dopped a piece of chicken on the floor while eating dinner & one of my white rock hens flew over & gobbled it up. I was absolutely astonished !! Ive heard of chickens being cannibal like & pecking at each other & what not but - a chicken eating a piece of cooked chicken !? Would it be cruel if i gave it to them as a treat every once & a while if they enjoy it ?

2. smokeater413

smokeater413 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    NW Florida
    not cruel, good source of protein as well. its just human nature to feel guilty about this.

3. lotzahenz

lotzahenz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Chickens are omnivores, they like bugs (meat) and veggies. So eating cooked chicken (they don't have any ideal what it is) is fine, and good for them. Chickens are happiest foraging for bugs, grubs and tasty morsels, along with seeds and grass. Seems a good idea to me.

4. mrszlopez

Apr 4, 2009
    Jackson,NJ
    thanks guys. i just figured it was kinda wrong. but they LOVE it !!

5. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    nothing wrong with it at all...

6. Peeper7

Peeper7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    Northeast Ohio
    Not cruel. Chickens peck -- at ANYTHING. It's what they do. If it's edible, they will eat it be it garbage, flesh, or just dots.
    Assuming you are eating cooked chicken, it won't encourage cannibalism.
    Mine beg for it and they will clean up all the meat left on the bones! When we have friends over eating the C word outside, the chickens jump in our laps and take it right out of our mouths if they get a chance. I know I know -- bad manners... I should not let them do it [​IMG]

Last edited: May 16, 2009
  7. JenEric Farms

JenEric Farms GOOGLE GENIUS

Oct 31, 2007
    Maine
    My mom's pet hen when I was growing up LOVED cooked chicken. She would come into the kitchen and pace, waiting for her treat. I never really thought about it being weird before...HA!

8. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    We had a quick lunch of store bought fried chicken the other day and I threw the leftovers to the chickens. I wish I had taken the time to get a pic of one of my hens running around with a drumstick in her mouth. It was twisted in one way, but funny just the same.

9. mrszlopez

Apr 4, 2009
    Jackson,NJ
    oh gosh you guys with your stories are cracking me up [​IMG]

10. rigagirl

rigagirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2008
    churchville ny
    we had pheasant last week and i over cooked it. but what was left over that night i gave to them in the morning and they loved it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by