is it difficult to incubate and hatch duck eggs?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by showjumper_girl2002, Jun 23, 2011.

1. showjumper_girl2002

showjumper_girl2002 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    Florida
    my dad's muscovy hen has laid more eggs yay! [​IMG] i'd like to take a couple and incubate them and hatch them myself to make them as pets. is it very hard to do this without losing the egg/duckling?

2. ZoeS95423

ZoeS95423 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    depends on your methods I think... I am not too sure, I just tried hatching regular duck eggs and only 2 of 15 hatched...
    Muscovies take a little bit longer, 35 days.
    But guess someone more experianced has to answer.

3. muslw4

muslw4 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2011
    Northern Illinois
    My mother was a teacher, now retired, she started hatching duck eggs for her classroom. The first year didn't go well. Then she found out the humidity is key. It has to be higher than for chicks. I'm not sure exact number. She's hatched Muscovies eggs and about a month ago call duck eggs. She uses a spray bottle to mist inside the bator. also has a wet sponge in there. I suggest you do more research and find out humidity levels. Remember, in the wild a mother duck will swim then cover her eggs. They have to be more wet than chicken eggs. It is possible just more difficult than chicken hatching.

4. showjumper_girl2002

Jun 20, 2011
    Florida
    well this will be my first attempt at this lol [​IMG] i'm probobly getting the little giant still air incubator from tractor supply. is this incubator ok for duck eggs? i've done my research on the temp, humidity, etc. now i just need to find a good incubator for duck eggs. i'm not sure if the one listed above is better for chickens or is just as good for ducks?

also, is turning them a few times a day sufficient or do i need to get an automatic turner? the less money i have to spend the better lol:D

5. ZoeS95423

Apr 17, 2011
    turn them 3 - 5 times a day, at the same time everyday.
    I have a little giant incubator from tracto supply..
    and people just complain that the temperature doesnt stay stable, but I never had a problem with the temperature.

6. showjumper_girl2002

Jun 20, 2011
    Florida
    thank you, i didn't know they had to be turned at the same time of day. do i just pick a time in morning, afternoon and night to do it every day?

so the little giant still air is good for duck eggs? ok i'll get mine tommorrow [​IMG] it has to be set and running with correct temp and humidity for 36 hours before putting eggs in right?

for humidity how often during the day do i sprits the eggs and in the little giant do i need a rag/sponge or something to keep it at the correct level along with the spritsing?

7. ZoeS95423

Apr 17, 2011
    Yes just pick a time morning, after noon, evening.

I spritsed mine once a day, until it got within a week, but then I did it twice a day, until Lockdown, which is when I threw a wet wash clothe in there during lock down.

8. showjumper_girl2002

Jun 20, 2011
    Florida
    ok sorry for all the questions i just want to do this right [​IMG] what is lockdown, when does it occur and for how long?

9. ZoeS95423

Apr 17, 2011
    Lockdown is when you do not mess with the incubator for the last 3 days before the eggs hatch, you keep the humidity pretty high, do not open the incubator at all, until your eggs have all hatched unless completely necessary

10. showjumper_girl2002

Jun 20, 2011
    Florida
    thanks so much for your help [​IMG] i know muscovy eggs take longer to hatch (36 days?) so i prepare for lockdown on day 32 of having them in the incubator?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by