Is it easier to introduce chicks to roosters than hens?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by susanah, Jul 5, 2011.

1. susanah

susanah Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Do the roosters attack new chicks like hens do? Or are they protective?

2. Strader

Strader Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Yakima
    I have that same question. I have an 23 week old polish rooster and I want to add (10) 7 week old delaware pullets to his chicken coop. There are no other hens, pullets, or roosters in his coop. Will this work out easily? or do i need to put seperate pen in his coop for pullets to live in for a week or two? Thank you very much.

3. mywifewasonherenowiamalso

mywifewasonherenowiamalso Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    i never had a problem with roosters, only hens will kill chicks is my experience.
    roosters are protective but will peck them sometimes to keep them in line

4. ninabeast

ninabeast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Upstate New York
    I await the answer of people more experienced than I, as my 12-week old rooster is going away soon to have a much younger harem...[​IMG]

5. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    I've never had any luck introducing chicks to a grown flock unless I have a broody hen to take care of them.
    My usual practice it to wait until the chicks are pretty much full grown, then integrate slowly. Starting with a pen within the run and then letting them free range together.

My roosters are generally nice guys, but I wouldn't give them chicks.

6. Strader

Strader Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Yakima
    I just took my (6) 8 week old pullets into the chicken house and put them on floor in a large dog crate ( all metal wire type) and left them there for 3 days. then the (4) 20 week old pullets got to visit a bit and see them for 3 days, pecking at them through the wire a few times.. yesterday I let them out of the dog crate and removed the crate from the chicken house. (3) of the 20 week old girls pecked at 3 of the pullets in like 30 minutes, but then went back to minding there own business. This morning I looked over the 8 week old girls and they still look good. No feathers gone or peck marks. There are no roosters in this chicken house and none of the 20 week old girls have laid eggs yet. this is just added info. i will see how they are when i get home today. i did let the 8 week old pullets out of the crate about 1 hour before the older girls go to roost. the (6) 8 week olds havent ventured out into the wire run yet. They seem to be staying very close in the chicken house. they have an 8x10 area in chicken house and 8x8 wire run area. having more room may be a good thing. Helps give them little ones a run away option when one older one trys to peck maybe.

7. ninabeast

ninabeast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Upstate New York
    But what if the rooster was the new guy, and the only one older than the chicks? He can't attack them ALL, can he? He's very sweet with his sisters and is a teen himself...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by