Is it enough space

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by arhawkeye, Oct 21, 2014.

1. arhawkeye

arhawkeye New Egg

Oct 21, 2014
    Hello to all. My wife and I are in planning stages for our chickens. I want to build a 6' x 8' coop with 2 boxes for a total of 6 hens. The coop will be elevated and inside of a either 15' x 20' or 20' x 25' run. I live in central SC. What does everyone think?

2. BayBay Peepers

BayBay Peepers Overrun With Chickens

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    I think they will live quite comfortably in that kind of space. Will they always be confined or will they be let out once in a while? I would love to see pictures of your progress.

3. BayBay Peepers

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    I suppose with that much room they probably wouldn't even notice :)

Welcome to BYC by the way!

4. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Sounds like a lovely plan - I like to give my birds as much room as possible, and this will afford your girls a nice amount of room (and leave room for a little chicken math, lol)

5. arhawkeye

arhawkeye New Egg

Oct 21, 2014
    I would like to let them free range but my back yard only has a 4' high fence and is only about a half acre. Unless I can keep them in then I am all for it.

6. Ol Grey Mare

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Also - [​IMG]

7. Ol Grey Mare

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    What breeds are you considering? Some are more flighty than others. You can also use wing clipping as a way to limit flight abilities.

8. arhawkeye

arhawkeye New Egg

Oct 21, 2014
    We were looking at Barred Rocks and RIR. But they will share the backyard with my 4 boys and a spoiled rotten (chicken) Boykin Spaniel. Also, does the run have to have a top on it?

9. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Covered runs are much safer. Keeping your birds safe from predators is most important. Build safe to start, and you'll do a lot less grieving.[​IMG] Mary

10. BayBay Peepers

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    It would be a good idea to cover it. You'd me amazed at what can get through, over, and under a fence.
    We put up a four foot fence to keep our flock out of the garden and they never went over it. I think your fence will be high enough to keep those breeds in :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by