1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is it enough

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ncCHICKS, Nov 25, 2008.

1. ncCHICKS

ncCHICKS Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2008
    Hope Mills, NC
    Is a heating pad on medium enough to raise about 2 baby chicks?

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I've actually never tried a heating pad! Never even thought of it! It would seem, in theory that it would be enough - let's see what more seasoned veterans have to say.

3. birdsofparadise

birdsofparadise Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    North Kohala, Hawaii
    Is it safe to leave a heating pad on 24/7 for 8 weeks? I donʻt think its designed for that kind of duty. Plus, you have got to figure out the "surface" temp of the pad and regulate it carefully so that you donʻt burn the chicks legs. Lastly, what are you going to do with the poop on the pad? A 250 watt heating light is a proven and easier solution.

4. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Dont think I would use a heating pad in the brooder, I wouldnt feel safe leaving it on 24/7 and most new heating pads go off after an hour so you would have to keep turing it on. A bunch of resons I wouldnt feel safe using it.

You can get a heat lamp and bulb for about $10-$15

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I personally use a brooder lamp but have used a heating pad with an old towell wrapped around it.

6. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    When I separated the packing peanuts from the ones I ordered, I only had one heat lamp. I gave the packing peanuts a heating pad, and it worked beautifully. They used it for about 3 weeks, on low. I worried about it, though, and was glad to take it out when they didn't need it anymore.

Look at pet stores. I saw someone post a link on here about an animal heating pad... I would feel safe with something like that.

7. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Quote:Why did you seperate the peanuts?? You could have raised them together, with no Ill effects to either group.

8. willowcol

willowcol Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Macclesfield NC
    It really depends on the heating pad. The newer ones shut off after a hour or so. I have a older one that doesn't shut off. It is in my homemeade incubator. It has been on medium since my first eggs went in in Sept. I have only turned it off once for a 3 day break between getting new eggs. It has no melted spots, has never acted up, and actually on med in my cooler it keeps the temp steady at 100. I have no thermostate and it has never had a heat spike or temp drop yet. So I would think it would be fine, it might be fine on low for the chicks if they are in the house.

9. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    Quote:Why did you seperate the peanuts?? You could have raised them together, with no Ill effects to either group.

I separated the peanuts because I didn't want to get attached to them. [​IMG] We are planning on eating them, and I won't be able to if they're my pets. I wanted to hold and tame the keepers, so they're in a brooder where I can reach them. The peanuts are in a big pumpkin box, so I can't even reach them if I wanted to...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by