Is it ethical to euthanize this chick?

Mar 1, 2021
Hatched 5 healthy chicks. Upon, examining them I came across this with one baby. Any idea what this is? What's going on? Does he need to be
euthanized...?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210302-221940.png
    Screenshot_20210302-221940.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 24
I have no experience here. How's the chick acting? Are the others pecking at the exposed area? I imagine the main thing is going to be keeping the area cleaned to ward off infection. Let's tag some of the hatching experts
@MGG @Pyxis @Kiki @casportpony

I'd probably try to keep it as long as it's acting well but I am a total softie. Maybe put it in a small box or cup so it's still upright in the normal position but couldn't move around so much keeping it from closing. I'm curious to see what folks say. I wish you the best

I have no experience here. How's the chick acting? Are the others pecking at the exposed area? I imagine the main thing is going to be keeping the area cleaned to ward off infection. Let's tag some of the hatching experts
@MGG @Pyxis @Kiki @casportpony

I'd probably try to keep it as long as it's acting well but I am a total softie. Maybe put it in a small box or cup so it's still upright in the normal position but couldn't move around so much keeping it from closing. I'm curious to see what folks say. I wish you the best
Thank you, he does have one splayed leg so Im currently correcting that have. He hasnt stood up much but he is flopping around and moving and peeping. The others arent picking on him, Im waiting for him to dry out and then Ill probably isolate him. If something is majorly wrong, I dont want him to suffer.

Just to share my experience, I had a chick to hatch with some of the yolk sac unabsorbed (she had a difficult hatch but was able to do it on her own) but not this much. She also was only able to stand in a scissors stance. I tried to correct her legs but she'd face plant and had a terrible time, so I just let her be. I kept her isolated and made sure to keep her environment as clean as possible. Within 2 weeks, she was doing really well and joined her hatchmates. Again, this looks more severe than my Zelda's. Chickens can survive some gruesome stuff and even thrive. They're so resilient but at the same time they're very sensitive. I wish I could help more and I apologize that I can't.

If she were my chick, I'd keep her isolated and as clean as possible. As long as she's not suffering, I'd see how it goes. You can always change your mind if she starts going downhill.

I wish you the best. One of the experts will know about this and will be able to give you more knowledgeable advice. I'm cheering both of you on!

Back
Top Bottom