is it even a chicken?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by spish, Jul 30, 2010.

1. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    i have this..erm...bird, that i bought 10 weeks ago, now all the others are growing fast and turning into beautiful hens and rooster..but this one has never really grown much, never stayed with the others (always goes off on its own away from the chickens) and has begun to make the most remarkable noise (paaaaarp!) like you would imagine a goose or duck. but it looks chickenish?? and is not a roo(thought maybe roo trying to crow?), cause you can really see the others look rooish and this one doesnt..and ive checked mouth for obstructions but nothing there so the noise must be its normal call...

heres a photo from about 5 weeks back will upload more recent ones after ive eaten [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Tam'ra of Rainbow Vortex

Tam'ra of Rainbow Vortex Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    Rogue Valley, S. Oregon
    I am guessing by the feet Bantam EE? Could be wrong, but that's what I would say.

3. acid_chipmunk

acid_chipmunk Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!

Mar 29, 2010
    Are you sure it isn't a bantam EE? She looks like mine. At any rate, she is gorgeous!

4. spish

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    and photos from today (5weeks later) please excuse the cage everyone is being treated for cocci and as this bird wouldnt stay in the field with the others, ive had to cage it to make sure it drinks the meds) you can see for a 12 week old 'chicken' its very small!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. spish

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    oh i never thought it could be a bantam chicken.......!
    do they make weird parp noise?!

6. acid_chipmunk

Mar 29, 2010
    Yes, they do! Mine make the weirdest noise. I really think you have a bantam EE there.

7. spish

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    do they not got any bigger then? gonna have to build it a pen/run then cause it fits through the tinyest holes [​IMG]

8. acid_chipmunk

Mar 29, 2010
    How old is it? Mine are small and I don't think they are going to get much bigger. They are actually smaller than my bantam Polish are.

9. spish

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    just over 12 weeks now

10. acid_chipmunk

Mar 29, 2010
    At 12 weeks, I would say that is all the bigger she is going to get. Mine are about the same age and I a fairly certain that they are done growing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by