Is it EVER GOING TO HAPPEN!!!!????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by livinggreen, Sep 12, 2007.

1. livinggreen

livinggreen Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2007
    Clarkston, MI
    :eek:

The anticipation is killing me! My 3 RIR's are 23 weeks, 2 have red combs and no eggs yet! They're free range but I've been leaving them in the coop a lot of days because of the rain so I'm sure they're not laying in the woods or in the yard yet. They have 2 nice nest boxes with straw and fake eggs but have shown no interest in going in them yet. Every week when I buy free range organic eggs from the grocery store at $4 a dozen I'm cursing my chickens! haha! Everyone thinks I'm nuts for having chickens so they have a look of satisfaction when they hear that there are no eggs yet. (and I'm asked every day by someone) GRRRR.

I need some words of encouragement!

2. Country Gal

Country Gal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2007
    Capac, MI
    I feel your pain... I went through the same thing with my chickens, who THANKFULLY started laying over the weekend (well, one of them did)...

Mine had the really red combs, wattles and earlobes for what felt like forever. The first egg appeared shortly after I noticed that they had been spending time in the nesting boxes, noticable by obvious "butt marks" in the straw. Everyone always talks about squatting, but I never saw any of my girls squat.

Look for the butt marks... good luck!

3. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    It'll happen!!

Our Buff's haven't laid yet, and one clearly isn't ready since she hasn't any combs or redness in her face. But the other has been red for a week now and my Americauna beat her! I was sure the Buff would be first since she's biggest and most mature-looking. You can just never tell.

Tell the nosy parkers that the later they wait to start laying the longer they'll lay at max capacity. I read somewhere (on another thread) thay early bloomers fizzle out faster.

You'll get those eggs!! Hang in there!!

It was so cool to open the door and find that 1st small green egg. And we had to wait another day to get the 2nd one. But you'll have your chance soon!!!!

4. jenichick

jenichick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2007
    NC
    I've heard the large breeds mature later and lay later than the others. I'm seeing this with my own girls. The small girls of my standard breeds matured faster and are laying but my BO, RIR, and Cochins don't even act like they want to lay an egg. Their combs are red but not like the smaller birds, and they don't cackle and dig nests on the ground yet either. Mine are 19 weeks, so I think I have a while til the larger breeds give me some goodies.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2007
  5. Bamaman

Bamaman Out Of The Brooder

Sep 12, 2007
    cullman and auburn, al
    I let my chickens free-range all the time but when i do have to keep them locked up they stop laying for a few days. I have had a few hens that would not lay in the coop so i locked them up for a couple weeks until they laid inside. The ones that were laying outside would pace back and forth in the pen like they had to use the bathroom real bad then they would dive in a nest box and finally lay an egg. I guess what i am trying to say is by locking them up for some days and then letting them loose others you might be delaying them alittle.

6. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    Where do you live? Are you up North where the days are getting shorter? If so, sunlight reduction will lead to decreased egg production, and since your pullets are late season ones they are getting conflicting signals from their bodies - their maturing systems are telling them to lay, while the short days are telling them to gear down. I supplement my hen's light in the winter.
    If you are in the South, then I don't know what it may be other than waiting a bit longer. It can be nerve-wracking!

7. livinggreen

livinggreen Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2007
    Clarkston, MI
    Thanks everyone! There is hope!

I am in the north...I'll try putting the light on for a bit in the evenings. I'll also try keeping them in the coop for a while. I just feel so guilty because they're so happy to go outside. These ladies have me wrapped around their little chicken feet! I did see one of them squatting about a week ago. I thought something was wrong with her so I made my husband come out to look at her. He said it looked like she was trying to poop. Could be a good sign?! I'll start keeping my eyes open for butt marks in the nest boxes too [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by