Is it ever too late to start lighting (for egg laying)?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JayByrd, Dec 6, 2010.

1. JayByrd

JayByrd New Egg

Dec 6, 2010
    As fall took over from summer I was cavalier about egg production. [​IMG] My birds were all laying so consistently I had more eggs than I knew what to do with, so I didn't bother setting up winter lighting for them. Now production is very low, and I'm worrying I won't have any eggs to keep me fat and content till spring. [​IMG]

I have 3 small flocks of chickens: 22 month old marrans that just stopped laying last week, 14 month old ameraucanas that haven't laid for months, and a mixed flock of 8 month old pullets that are just now slowing down. Out of 11 pullets, I'll get 2 eggs one day, 5 the next, then back to 2 eggs.... With only about 9 hours of daylight, I'm not surprised, but I'm wondering if I needed to have started the lighting back when egg production first started falling. Is it too late for lighting to help? Are the pullets the only ones that I should bother with, or would the marrans benefit too, since they just stopped laying? Are the ameraucanas lost causes till spring? Should I jump in and make sure they have 18 hours of light immediately, or work them up to that gradually, over a week or two?

Thanks for the help.

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Mostly it is posted that 14 hours are enough.
    1-2 weeks and you should see an improvement.
    I don't think it matters if you add it gradually or not.

Good luck,

Imp

3. blueberrychickens

blueberrychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Hudson, MA
    I dont see how adding light would hurt them, its worth trying. My girls have a light on a timer & have been laying pretty well. One girl has decided to go broody though, silly girls' gonna have a cold belly for the winter!!

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Some people do their worming first, because of the wait period, then turn on lights about now. Go for it. It's just now the shortest day.

5. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    you only need aprox, 14hrs. and you can do it now. I need to, but I keep procrastinating..silly me! I have aprox. 30 in the refrig..and that will not last long at all...maybe another 2 weeks..IF....

6. pederson3

pederson3 Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2009
    Cody
    Anyone have any ideas if I have been doing artificial light for about a month now, and production just completely dropped off. 21 hens laying 0-2 eggs/day. It just happened within the last few days and I don't know why or what to do. I have a couple of old girls who don't lay much anyway, but the rest are all 1-2 years old.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by