Is it fertile?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tharrell, Feb 14, 2017.

1. tharrell

tharrell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2008
    Colorado Springs
    I was shocked to discover our little gander is in fact a goose... I'm having a hard time deciding if her egg is fertile or not, and whether I should collect them for hatch. There is a gander with her, but he's paired up with another goose. Any thoughts? Thanks!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. along

along New Egg

Feb 14, 2017
    Malaysia
    U should put it in incubator for 5 days to fertile the eggs.
    Not crack the egg when drop from ur poultry

3. tharrell

Jul 28, 2008
    Colorado Springs
    It was a first egg so I wouldn't incubate it regardless. Goose eggs are huge, I have limited room in my brinsea. I don't want to put in an egg I don't know to be fertile when I have them from another bird that definitely are. Thanks for the input though.

4. tharrell

Jul 28, 2008
    Colorado Springs
    Bump

5. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Inspecting the germinal disc of a few "sacrifice eggs" is actually quite common practice in assessing fertility for the collection of hatching eggs. While test incubation is also an option, it is not the only one.

6. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    :goodpost:

I always crack, check and eat a few before starting collection for incubation.

@tharrell I'm thinking your egg is fertile above.

7. tharrell

Jul 28, 2008
    Colorado Springs
    Thanks for the replies :) I have no problem looking at other people's eggs and being sure of an answer, but when it's comes to mine I always second guess myself! I saw them breeding yesterday for the first time. I still can't believe this goose is a girl. "She" tried to breed with my daughter's head last fall, I have a video of it! I'm still in shock. We love that bird, I hatched him, well her I guess. I'm setting eggs tomorrow, I have two of hers so far. I guess we'll know for sure soon enough! I had a 100% hatch on chicken eggs this week, so I'm hoping for at least something from these eggs.

8. DwayneNLiz

DwayneNLiz ...lost... Premium Member

Jun 18, 2013
    NH
    good luck!! and thats hilarious! your poor daughter [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by