is it fertile?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Casandra, Nov 13, 2011.

1. Casandra

Casandra Out Of The Brooder

Nov 2, 2011
    I have 9 quail eggs all laid at different times over the coarse of a week. we candled them today and got confusing results. eggs 5 and 8 have small dots with veins radiating out from them. eggs 6,2,4,and 9 have a big dark shape moving in them with airbubbles on the rounded part of the egg they are kinda hard to see in. and then egg 1 has an air bubble and something small moving around in it when it gets rotated. egg 1 was also dropped and was cracked. i used clear nail polish that was 8 days ago and hasn't started to stink and its been in the incubator. can someone please help me figure out if they are fertile or not. thank you

2. Fleabuskitty

Fleabuskitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    They are all fertile if there are veins. The dark shapes in some of them would be chicks. If they were all set at the same time, the two that only have dots with veins would probably be quitters.

3. Lacrystol

Lacrystol Hatching Helper

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    They all sound like they are fertilized, I have never used nail polish on a cracked egg but I have used wax, it worked absolutely great for me.. does egg 1 move when you don't rotate it? It could be a quitter and just moving because your rotating it not necessary alive..

4. Casandra

Casandra Out Of The Brooder

Nov 2, 2011
    im not shure if it moves when its not being turned. but yes you can us clear nail polish as long as the crack is not at the end with with the air bubble. when it was dropped no liquid leaked out so i have been incubating it to see we will see on thanks giving if it was successful.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by