Is it fine to leave baby chicks outside?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Thatcher97, Dec 20, 2014.

1. Thatcher97

Thatcher97 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2012
    I live in south Florida and the temperature rarely goes below 50* so i was wondering a relative point in where you could put the baby chicks in a outdoor brooder pen? To where they would be fine in the cold.

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Chick, without a heat lamp, should be able to survive in 50 degree temperatures when they are feathered in, usually around 6-8 weeks old. If you provide a supplemental heat lamp that they can get beneath if they are cold, you might be able to move them to an outside brooder earlier.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    My chicks are always in an outdoor brooder, even in early spring. The area under the heat lamp is around 100degrees, the rest of the brooder is however cold it is in the barn. The chicks do just fine. Momma hen raises them the same way, she makes a warm spot, the rest of the world is however warm or cold it happens to be when she hatches them.

4. tlreilly7

tlreilly7 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2014
    If they are not over 8 weeks do not put them outside with out a heat lamp. The rule of thumb is to subtract from a hundred 5 degrees a week from the day they were hatched.

5. mossyroo

mossyroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2014
    Mossy Head, FL
    I took mine out to the coop at 4 weeks a little over 1 weeks ago in FL panhandle. Had several nights in 40s and 1 or 2 with a little frost. They had a large box they could go in with a heat lamp and the first few I would put them in there every night and let them out in the morning. I left the heat lamp on in there full time. I saw several of theme go up the ramp and look in the box during the day so I know they knew how to get in there but they seemed to prefer huddling outside so I just left them and a couple days ago took the light out. They are doing great.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by