Is it gonna die?! HELP PLEASE **PIC ADDED** ITS DIED :(

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ukchickengirl, Oct 3, 2007.

1. ukchickengirl

ukchickengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Just helped out my 2nd chick and its cheeping and moving ok but where it umbilical cord is theres a large lump which looks to me like a bag of poop?

the other 2 havent had this at all, is it its insides on the outside?

Thanks

Hannah x

**** went up an hour ago to the bator and the poorly chick had died, really sad as it would have been a beautiful chicken, it had silver fluff but pleased that it didnt suffer for ages. thanks for your replies and helpfulness.****

Last edited: Oct 3, 2007
  2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

It should dry up and fall off. Not much you can do except wait in this case. What you're seeing is probably the remainder of the yolk sac, if I understand your post.

3. ukchickengirl

Thats what i figured it was but just looks bigger than normal!! sorry for desperate sounding post there!!! [​IMG]

could it be that 21 days isnt till tomorrow so its a premature baby in effect?!

I will wait it out and see what happens [​IMG]

H x

4. TundraChick

TundraChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2007
    West Viriginia
    I had this with mine. If its the same, its a birth defect and the chick will die. I'll see if I can find the thread..[​IMG]

Here is the thread. I did have a photo but I deleted it a while back. If you have a photo, post it and I'll take a look...Stacy

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=13379

5. TundraChick

Aug 6, 2007
    West Viriginia
  6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

If it is green, then it is the poo... I am betting it looks pink though so that would be a rough naval and if there is orange it could be the yolk sack. All you can realy do is wait and see. Good luck!

7. ukchickengirl

[​IMG]

pic of poorly chick, hasnt opened its eyes yet either [​IMG]

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Hon, that doesn't look promising for its survival. Nothing you can really do for it, either, IMO.

9. TundraChick

Aug 6, 2007
    West Viriginia
    Alas, this is not what my baby had...but it doen't look good to me either. [​IMG]

10. SimplcitiyAltered

SimplcitiyAltered Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2007
    Grand Ridge, Iillinois
    to me it looks like it was removed from the shell too soon for future reference when assisting a chick from the shell if you notice any blood stop what you are looking at is the yolk sac not much can be done right now whatever you do do not to remove this as the bird could possibly bleed out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by