Is it hard to hatch with a broody hen?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by 50+Buff_Orphingtons, Nov 28, 2011.

1. 50+Buff_Orphingtons

50+Buff_Orphingtons Out Of The Brooder

Nov 30, 2010
    Woods, KS
    I have a broody hen and i am going to get some hatching eggs. What do i need to do? is it hard to do?

2. Hillbilly Hen

Hillbilly Hen Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2009
    Newaygo Michigan
    Put the eggs under the hen and wait. She will do the rest. If you don't have her in a seperate pen then mark the eggs as sometimes other hens will lay their eggs on the nest. It is so much easier to let mama raise them then having to keep chicks in a brooder box. Good luck!

3. Evelle

Evelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    North Idaho
    50+Buff_Orphingtons :

I have a broody hen and i am going to get some hatching eggs. What do i need to do? is it hard to do?

with a broody HECK NO she does all the work!!! all you need to do is make sure she gets up everyday to eat and poo!
    but all you do is sit and wait no turning no water no temp checks no humidity checks. i would really keep her away from the others i had one that the top hen would kick out of the nest to lay everyday.. she ended up breaking 4 eggs by doing this.. but sometimes you just cant, they pick a nest and stay there no matter how hard you try to move them.. when they hatch REALLY move her into a safe envroment or the other hens might/could/will kill the chicks
    very exciting ive has about 4 broodys within a year i alway let them have egg i dont like to discurrage them from being broody some day they might be my only means of having chicks.
    Good luck:)

Last edited: Nov 28, 2011
  4. TinyChickenLady

TinyChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

I've heard they're better at hatching than we are.
    I think you can just put the eggs right under her and she'll take it from there.
    But if she gives up on them, you'll have to take them and finish the job for her.

5. Jay262

Jay262 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2009
    Lol its a bit of a given there better at hatching then us they have been doing it aslong as there has been chickens. You put those eggs in under her and she will do the rest no worries about that. The only question that remains which came first the chicken or the egg?

Last edited: Nov 28, 2011
  6. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Hatching with a broody hen is simplicity itself. She does ALL the work.

Do mark the eggs and remove any the other hens have added to her nest. I use large, covered kitty litter boxes so can pick the whole nest, broody, eggs and all, and move to a more secluded place, if she hasn't already nested somewhere away from normal day to day operations. Do provide food and water close to her, so she will eat and drink. When the chicks hatch, there's no need to give them chick starter, but you could do so; mama hen will show them what to do and appreciate the extra protein herself,

7. babigyrl22

babigyrl22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    Caledonia
    The hard part as always is waiting....

8. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

9. 50+Buff_Orphingtons

50+Buff_Orphingtons Out Of The Brooder

Nov 30, 2010
    Woods, KS
    Thank you so much everyone! I am going to try this!

10. SA newbie

SA newbie Out Of The Brooder

Sep 12, 2011
    Try and move her and pop the eggs under her at night. Found that they do better if secluded, no interruptions! Had a broody who hatched 8 out of 9 BA's on Saturday- all healthy and doing well! Ninth egg wasn't fertile! So much easier, got some in the bator and the broody is MUCH easier, sit back for 3 weeks and you get to enjoy,

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by