1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Is it healthy to be THIS broody??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by txchickie, May 22, 2010.

1. txchickie

txchickie Songster

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    I have a banty EE hen that is currently sitting on her THIRD clutch of eggs and she's not even a year old (she will be 1yr next month). She's hatched and raised 2 groups of chicks, just 'weaned' her last bunch about 2 weeks ago.
    The girl will lay 7-8 eggs and then must sit [​IMG] She free ranges and is a master nest hider. Currently she's sitting/sharing on a nest with a guinea hen, don't know how that's going to work out for her. They're all guinea eggs (I looked under them and nearly lost all my arm skin [​IMG]), she just decided to sit with the guinea.
    Has anyone had a hen that pretty much stayed in Mama-Mode?

2. Beekissed

Beekissed Free Ranging

I have but she wasn't as good a mom as your girl. I eventually culled her but her health was just fine. I just didn't want a career broody that couldn't raise a nice big hatch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: