Is It Healthy To Only Have One Chicken?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Amitist, Aug 28, 2010.

1. Amitist

Amitist Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2010
    Erlanger, KY
    Hi! I bought 3 chicks a couple of months ago and 2 of them died ( Reason Unknown), So now I only have 1... Is that healthy for it? Do chickens need other chickens? It seems very happy all the time! It eats and drinks well. I just wanna know.

-Amitist

2. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    Might be healthy for the chick but not for you. You need more chickens. There can't be just one! [​IMG]

3. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    It will be just fine, but if I were you I would go and buy 2 or 3 dozen more just to be sure.

AL

4. luvchicks8

luvchicks8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    I wouldn't want just one they are a flock animal kinda like having one goat.

5. drunkdog

drunkdog Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Everett
    I also read they are flock animals and prefer company...beside study your chicken math you simply must have more [​IMG]

6. Amitist

Aug 16, 2010
    Erlanger, KY
    Yeah, i just might get some more.... It needs company. Now the neighbors are complaining about this chicken so I can't have more (right now!) or they will report it [​IMG]

I can't wait till we move, which will be next summer (1 YEAR!!!) [​IMG] So it will have to be alone for right now....

Its a Rhode Island Red/ Speckled Sussex so its VERY hardy, so that explains how it survived and the others didn't.

7. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Quote:Are you in a subdivision or something? I just hate it when there are restrictions on things that shouldn't matter. what about outlawing vicious dogs that kill at the drop of a hat, or ppl. in general that let their dogs roam the neighborhood and destroy other ppl.'s property. There, now I can get off of my soapbox. I feel much better.

8. featherbaby

featherbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL 32210
    Why are the neighbors complaining? Is it crowing?

9. Amitist

Aug 16, 2010
    Erlanger, KY
    Quote:It is a pullet so it doesn't crow. The neighbors are kind of "old" so they sit outside alot and just chill since they are retired. They think the chicken is just annoying, they say it makes peeping noises (ALL CHICKENS DO!!) which is disturbing for them. I got off the hook this time but I am NOT risking it by buying another chicken. [​IMG]

10. Amitist

Aug 16, 2010
    Erlanger, KY
    D'Angelo N Va. :

Quote:Are you in a subdivision or something? I just hate it when there are restrictions on things that shouldn't matter. what about outlawing vicious dogs that kill at the drop of a hat, or ppl. in general that let their dogs roam the neighborhood and destroy other ppl.'s property. There, now I can get off of my soapbox. I feel much better.

Yes, I do live in a subdivision, and here alot of people listen to the elders alot and unfortunately the neighbors complaing are ELDERS! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by