Is it hopeless? Pekin going broody.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Skipspin, Dec 23, 2012.

1. Skipspin

Skipspin Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2012
    Florida
    So, what are the chances that a Pekin will sit and hatch a clutch of eggs?

She's laying and made a nice nest- even kicked out the "fake" eggs (golf balls) that we stuck in her nest when we tried to get the hen to hatch some of her eggs- but the hen wasn't broody yet. She lays almost every day and has about 8 now, I think.

If a chicken goes broody we are going to try that again since we have several that are great broodys, but it would be so cute to have the little duckies with their mommy. Usually we have chickens going broody all the time when we don't want them to, but of coarse, since we want them to now they aren't!

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Some people have had their Pekins go broody a couple time. I think it honestly just varies by the individual bird. If she's already built a nest then she may go broody soon.

3. PlumTuckered

PlumTuckered Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2007
    Arkansas
    My 3 yr old Pekin has gone broody 4 times, 3 of those times I let her hatch out her babies (or whoever's eggs she was on lol) this summer she hatched 6 of her own eggs and she hatched 6 beautiful Pekin/Muscovy mixes. My Jumbo Pekin hen also used to go broody a lot (sadly a coyote got her when I was out of town last year and my Husband was in charge of my ducks :-(

Michelle

4. animalz11

animalz11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2012
    QLD Australia
    Maybe you could candle them to see if the little ones are still alive. Also mark them with a "x" or some other kind of marking to make sure she is turning them, if she is, I'd say she knows what she's doing... Also is she sitting on them at night time? This normally turns my 'scovies broody.

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I agree with Kevin. Although broodiness may have been bred out of some pekin strains, individuals still may be successful at brooding and hatching. Give it a try if she goes broody.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by