Is it illegal to hatch and release Canadian geese?

Jharper

Songster
7 Years
Oct 20, 2012
Tifton, Ga
Ok so my mom works by a big pond that has Canadian geese that stay year round and for the past couple of years that have tried to hatch but wild cats keep getting them. So they never get past week two. We found an egg laying by the pond they drop them where ever sometimes, and was wondering if I could hatch it out and then release it back into the wild at about week 5. When it gets big enough for cats not to get it. It's a big open horse ranch, too. So coyotes won't be a problem. Any help please??

They do not like you taking Canadian geese eggs to hatch and then try to release them because they did not learn from the parent birds to leave when time comes. They will come and pennion them so they can not fly long distances.

Last edited:
[COLOR=000080]They do not like you taking Canadian geese eggs to hatch and then try to release them because they did not learn from the parent birds to leave when time comes. They will come and pennion them so they can not fly long distances.[/COLOR]

Those pair that are out there only fly between the pond and the one next to the agricultural museum. They never leave.
We are in Georgia also so hardly any geese migrate.

Last edited:
Ok so my mom works by a big pond that has Canadian geese that stay year round and for the past couple of years that have tried to hatch but wild cats keep getting them. So they never get past week two. We found an egg laying by the pond they drop them where ever sometimes, and was wondering if I could hatch it out and then release it back into the wild at about week 5. When it gets big enough for cats not to get it. It's a big open horse ranch, too. So coyotes won't be a problem. Any help please??
Plus a 5 week old gosling would be dead before sundown or sun up no way it could defend itself against even another goose. let alone other predators.

Could I let it get old enough for it to be able to fly?
who do you think this gosling is going to imprint on? they imprint on who they see first. that will be you or another human, which would be the same as if you had a domestic goose egg and said I think I'll hatch this out and when it can fly I'll let it go. That goose whether domestic or Canada is not going to know how to take care of it self since you have been caring for it from hatch it will be dependent on you. Think long and hard about this, plus it's illegal .. in the long run you still have to decide

Last edited:
You should probably raise it till it leaves on its own or you should just give it to a wildlife conservation in your area.

Last edited:
who do you think this gosling is going to imprint on? they imprint on who they see first. that will be you or another human, which would be the same as if you had a domestic goose egg and said I think I'll hatch this out and when it can fly I'll let it go. That goose whether domestic or Canada is not going to know how to take care of it self since you have been caring for it from hatch it will be dependent on you. Think long and hard about this, plus it's illegal ..  in the long run you still have to decide

We have an experiment station that has geese we live in south Ga around the ABAC campus I also have pilgrim geese eggs with it.
I could give it to them when it hatched or gets older. They have a wildlife refuge.

Back
Top Bottom